Chapter 18

so, i did an oopsie and forgot that booklists arrive like...later in the book so, the trip to diagon alley that happened some chapters ago, just....pretend that they didn't get their books because im not very smart.

in which a boggart ruins the mood.

Sirius had been very sullen lately, spending more and more time shut up with Buckbeak in his mother's old room. Most people with eyes could have seen what was going on; Sirius didn't want Harry to go to Hogwarts.

I had overheard Harry, Ron, and Hermione talking about it, but I hadn't joined the conversation or input my opinion, because to be truthful, I wasn't sure they completely trusted me. So, instead of being nosy and continuing to eavesdrop, I decided to go find Sirius.

Walburga Black's bedroom was on the top floor of the house, and I passed Kreacher on my way up, who eyed me and muttered something about a blood traitors daughter as I walked up the next flight of stairs.

This was the second time that had happened, and honestly, I didn't give very many damns whether or not Kreacher liked me. But...he only gave more evidence to my case. And that was where I was going right now. To court. Well, technically to Sirius, but I was going to confront him today.

If I didn't chicken out first.

"Sirius?" I knocked on the door hesitantly, and a few seconds later the man swung it open to reveal himself, and behind him, Buckbeak.

"'Ello Blair." He said, gesturing for me to come in. "You know how to introduce yourself to a hippogriff, yes?" He asked, and I nodded, dropping into a bow before Buckbeak.

I kept eye contact, and it took all the strength in me not to blink, before Buckbeak dipped his head towards me, something that was obviously a 'bow'.

I smiled and took a seat across from the two, leaning against the wall as I made myself comfortable.

"Where is your snake friend?" He asked, sitting back down and stroking Buckbeak's head. I shrugged.

"I left him in my room, so he's probably there. Unless he wandered off to find someone else to talk to." I replied, glancing at Buckbeak, who's eyes were closed in contentment. Now or never. "I need to talk to you about something."

"Sounds serious." He said with a laugh before looking up and seeing my slightly queasy expression. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked softly, and I felt my chest tighten.

"I-" I paused, regretting not practicing what I was going to say. "I lied...when you and Snape were talking. I heard it. All of it."

Sirius sighed, head falling back against the wall. "And you have your suspicions. As I do mine." He stated, and I felt the lump in my throat grow.

"So...do you think....do you think I could be your daughter?" The words came out in a whisper, but Sirius heard them just as clearly as if I had shouted them.

"I wouldn't know for certain unless I took a paternity test but I think-" He broke off, his words ragged as he looked up at me. "It's hard to believe, and it's a long shot. We could be completely wrong but...I think that you could be."

It had been several days since Sirius and I had talked, and now it was the last day of summer break-sorry, holiday, as everyone around here called it. I was still getting used to the words and phrases in that everyone used.

I was getting increasingly more anxious that I wouldn't be able to say goodbye to Emma. Everytime I tried to talk to her, she would dart away, and I was left staring after her anxiously. My worry was growing steadily higher that I would leave without another word to her.