Chapter IX | Nocturne

長く寒い夜は私の反射を変えます。 歌われていない歌は私の方向性を示しています。

The cold spring breeze loomed over Sakuta's residence. His senses were not in their good state, as if the room he was in is empty. He tried to keep himself happy, but couldn't.

Nobody wanted what happened to Mizumi. A terrible tragedy, it seemed. Nobody wanted what happened to her past. A terrible memory, it seemed.

Even Mai felt the same way as him. Feeling lonely, as if the death of her took a toll on her life. She felt weakened, she couldn't do the things she wants and must do.

When everyone heard the news the morning after her death, they began to shed tears. They tried to avoid believing it, but seeing Sakuta and Mai's status... they were proven unsuccessful.

The days passed, but Sakuta and Mai still couldn't keep themselves together. Mizumi was such a good friend to them. They treated her with the love and joy that she always deserves, but in the end... it was all for nothing.

Rain wouldn't stop falling the following days, as if Mizumi was precious to the blue skies it once held.

Sakuta tried to go outside, but he left his shoes on. So he walked down the pavement barefoot, not minding the wet terrain he was stepping on.

Everytime he tries to get a glimpse of the train tracks with unlit candles on them, he always knew the reason of her untimely suicide.

Sakuta tried to cry again, but he couldn't. His tears have already been dried up.

He thought of stepping into the tracks as Mizumi did, but he resisted.

Afterwards, he saw Mai across the train tracks. With her messy hair, and eyebags due to countless hours of mourning, she was thinking of the same thing as him.

Sakuta went back to his home. He couldn't even get up from the floor and do something.

"So this is what Mizumi felt all these years... heh... it must've been tough." He said to himself.

He had accumulated so many voice messages from his friends, especially from Rio and Tomoe, who have been worried sick because he wasn't going to school.

Mai also had so many voice messages from her manager and other show business partners. She couldn't even answer it.

If only they knew from the start...

If only they were able to hold her back...

If only they were able to understood her motives...

The only thing they knew... was that she was always sad... but they didn't know... why...

They did know some of it... but that wasn't enough.

And what they got in the end... was her end.

They didn't make it to their goal of preserving her happiness.

They didn't make it in time...

They were too late...

As the night unfolds and the rain stopped to let the moon present itself, so was Mizumi's Mardi Gras memories, filled with sadness but had a spark of happiness.

As I say to you, my friends and especially to my family... despite our indifferences... thank you for at least letting me live.

And to see this syndrome end with me... I could say...

I did this my way.

It was the right thing to do.

It was the only way.

So please don't ever cry, for it was my decision alone... not yours.

I may be gone, but the bad luck in me was gone, too. I am free now.

So as I leave this place, Sakuta-kun... Mai-san...

Thank you. 'Til we meet again someday.

Goodnight.

Published on May 14, 2021