Chapter III | Everybody Loves You Now

同意する人とだけ話し、知りたくないときは心を閉じてください。

I know it's my fault. There was no basis, but I definitely am at the wrong here. It's always been my fault... or maybe that's my self-consciousness talking to me. I always feel being stabbed in the back by those who I trust but I seem to not understand why do I always blame myself.

It's a mess of my own making. That's why I decided to abandon myself and my persona to everyone else. I shut myself and left who I was before. I am still slowly adapting, but because I already found Sakuta-kun... I feel like my self-esteem is rebuilding itself up.

Sakuta-kun, I'm glad I found you. You're the reason why I wasn't killed by the very monster I created. You saved me, Sakuta-kun. You really did.

"Sakuta-kun, we need to talk." Mai said to Sakuta as he closed the front door of his apartment. "U- Uhh okay.." Sakuta then sat down at the dining table.

"I really don't get it. Why did she return to you if she knew that it will be her fault again for making you have this... thing?" Mai asked him. "M- Mai-san, I do not have the answers yet. You do not know that yet too, but it's going to be a slow process if we have to solve it." Sakuta said back. "I know... you have guilts too, but let's set side that for a moment. We have to know her side of the story."

"I don't know how am I going to react. She's so mysterious. I haven't seen her elsewhere." Mai said as she twirled her glass of water while holding a book. "Come to think of it, where is she anyway?" Sakuta questioned.

They both went outside to look for her. She was nowhere to be found, until they saw her wandering on her own at the beach in that evening.

They rushed to her in worry. "Mizumi-san... where were you..?" Mai asked, while taking deep breaths because they ran towards her quickly. "Oh I'm sorry, guys. I was just stargazing. I miss having to view the night sky on my own." Mizumi responded while looking up, feeling happy about the twinkling stars that illuminates the beach they were at.

Mizumi then sat at the beach just feeling relaxed. Mai and Sakuta looked at each other and decided to stay with her for a little longer. She pointed at the three stars that seems to be grouped together.

"Can you see that? That is the Orion's Belt. There are three stars in it: Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka. But honestly speaking from my heart... it can refer to the three of us. Our shared bond that can burn up in our sky for millions of years." Mizumi said.

"I miss my old life. Starting over again feels... exhausting. I wanna go out and be myself again. If only I wasn't blaming myself." Sakuta and Mai got surprised.

"Mizumi-san, you don't have to blame yourself everytime. It is not everyday it's your fault for all the troubles. Sakuta-kun's wound was not yours to pick on. We'll figure this out." Mai said to her, which lifted her spirit at some point.

"Tell you what, let's go forget all the sadness for a moment. Let's have some fun." Mai said as she held her hands and lifted it. "R- Really? But you're a celebrity! I cannot go with you because people might see you, and... you'll get crowded... and it'll be my fault!" Mizumi just had those doubts made up.

"Heheh don't worry! I'll be using covers. Sakuta-kun's paying." They all stood up. "Wait... why me?" This got him all confused. "Tonight it's just us three. Don't feel down, just be happy for yourself at this time. After all, we're all buddies now." Mai said in her happiest mood.

And with that, they tried going anywhere to treat her sadness.

They went to see the turtles before the attraction closes. They went to see the fireworks display. They went walking around the park just feeling the land breeze that was sweeping the night.

I've never seen this side of Mai-san before. Maybe it's just what I needed. I guess both of them are right. I was just overreacting and overthinking.

Mai-san, it's also you who made my life uplifting than before. Both of you... Sakuta-kun... Mai-san... Thank you.

Because of you two, I can now face life without any doubts. I do not need a matrer of trust on someone else anymore. I feel like I can now trust myself.

Yesterday was when people fought me to feel no trust upon myself. The constant battle for the ultimate state of control. I was a puppet with strings being pulled by my mistakes.

Today, I must now say goodbye to that. It is time I cut these strings myslef and let go.

Afterwards, they were all exhausted. Mizumi isn't doubting herself anymore. Her problems seem to have been solved.

"I've never had this much fun! Thank you, you guys! I really hope we can do this more often!" Mizumi happily said. "Uh... not often, okay? I'm all out of money." Sakuta pointed out, which made Mizumi burst out in laughter, while Mai just smiled.

"Well, I'm glad this all worked out pretty fine for you, Mizumi-san. Are you feeling okay now?" Mai asked her. "I sure am! How can I ever repay you both?"

"Well you can always repay what we've spent damnit!" Sakuta said out loud. Mai then quickly stomped at his feet. "Gah! Sorry..."

"It's alright, Mizumi. It was our attempt to make you happy, so it's all free." Mai said. Mizumi hugged both of them, then tears of joy started to flood her eyes.

The next day. It felt like an ordinary day. But there was somehow that weird feeling for Sakuta.

"Hmm... something's not right. Nothing's happening... but something's definitely not right." Sakuta kept asking himself.

When he turned on the TV, he saw it.

"I- Is that... Mizumi?" He saw Mizumi at the screen, gaining the likes of many.

"But- since when did this happen?"

TO BE CONTINUED.

Published on: Jan. 01, 2021