chapter 14

For the next couple hours, all Sophie did was try to find out if Fitz was still in the building. She couldn't feel his mental energy, so she assumed he was okay.

The door to Sophie's room was forced open and there was a lot of yelling. She'd put the blindfold back down, just in case.

"She's still here!" one yelled to the others.

"Good! Tell the boss!" he sounded like Gethen, and Sophie's knuckles twiched. It had felt really good to punch him and break his nose.

"I'm right here," Vespera.

"Okay, since the boy got away we need to start interrogating her about where he could have gone. He's been inside her head, he must know something out if there."

"Or," Vespera started, "you could have the technopath make something to weaken her mind!"

Vespera didn't seem like she was very happy with the Neverseen, proving Sophie's theory that she was there unwillingly.

"How long are you going to talk in front of me before you start the questions? I don't even care anymore," Sophie's voice shook and her throat was raw, but she wanted to distract them, and see what kind of questions they asked. They only asked about the things they don't know.

"Where is the boy?" asked Vespera, taking the bait.

"Which one? I hang out with several, and you know where we live," Sophie bit back, trying not to smile. She didn't want to seem like a maniac or something.

"Fitz," she growled, "your stupid congate."

"He's not stupid. There's all the answer you'll ever get out of me," Sophie quite liked insulting or annoying Vespera. Made her feel good.

"Fine, if that's how you want to play. Gislea!"

"Vespera, it's Lady Gislea! You need to respect your superior."

"My articulate mind is much more advanced and knowing than yours. I believe I am your superior."

When they left the room, still bickering, she heard Gethen snicker at her, and felt a punch to the nose.

"I'm assuming you wanted to do that since I did it to you, huh Gethen?" 

It sounded like he paused, and all he said was, "I'm glad you knew it was me. Now we're even."

Sophie heard his footsteps fading down the hall, and she knew she had to get out soon. Her mental reserves were almost at enough. She was breaking out tonight.