chapter 9

~~~Sophie's POV~~~

Sophie wasn't sure if the elevator was an elevator or an elvin torture device, but the expressions on her friend's faces said they were used to this. 

"Okay, who's ready to get out of this thing?" Sophie asked after one minute of going sideways, upside down, and down.

"Get used to it. Besides, we're here," Biana replied, pointing at the floor counter, which had just clicked to 189.

"Let's go! I don't think I could handle it if Foster decided to recreate The Great Vacker Hurl Fest," Keefe joked, but his face was tinted green.

"Let's just go," Dex added, walking through the doors.

The rest of the group followed, stepping into a beautiful crystal hallway. The way the light was filtering into the hallway, it looked like dozens and dozens of rainbows.

"Woah," Sophie breathed, taking it in.

"I thought filter crystals were myths!" Biana shouted, turning red when they saw their guest.

"Yes, they are centuries old," she said, coming into the rainbow light, "my name is Vernice, although I'm sure you already knew that."

Vernice had cream colored skin, the right balance between blond and brown hair, and a beautiful smile. Her ice blue eyes sparkled as she waved us forward into the hallway.

Into her office.

To talk about matches!

When all of Sophie's group filled into Vernice's office, she closed the door and showed them an obscurer as she turned it on.

"This makes it so the council cannot eavesdrop," Vernice explained. 

"So why can't they?" asked Fitz, looking very uneasy.

"Because I'm trying to find a way for you all to get normal match packets and lists!" 

"Really? But you don't even know us," Sophie pointed out.

"I know, but you all are teenagers. You deserve so much more than three lousy matches. No offence- none of you are lousy, but you get my point."

"Yeah, thanks but I don't want to be a bad match," Biana mumbled.

"I know. That's why we're here. To see if you can pick who you marry."

For the next three hours, Vernice and the friends brainstormed and debated over the best way to convince the council that they could get DNA tests and see if any of them were actually related, and then prove they could pick their match.

By the end of their appointment, they still didn't have a good plan, so when Keefe, Fitz, Biana, Dex, Tam, Linh, and Sophie walked out, Vernice promised she'd keep trying.

As if she could sway four more councillors to their side.