chapter 2

As soon as Sophie remembered Fitz had talked to her, she scolded her fluttering heart. Stupid hearts.

"Ok," Sophie said, following Fitz into Everglen.

"We'll stay here," Flori promised, winking.

"No we'll..." Sandor trailed off when Flori shot him a death stare. 

Sophie groaned, her cheeks continuing to get darker by the second. 

"Ok, follow me," Fitz said again, and Sophie followed him.

Fitz lead Sophie through the numerous gardens and trees, to a place where Sophie had never been before.

"Wow," she breathed.

It really was. He had lead her to a private garden filled with plants of all shapes, colors, and sizes.

Fitz blushed as he said, "Thanks, I've never shown anyone this place before."

"Really?" now it was Sophie's turn to blush.

Fitz cleared his throat, "So about the thing I wanted to tell you... umm... I- don't know how to say this."

"Okay, do you want me to tell you the secret I've been holding out on you?" Sophie cut in, hating the suffocating silence after Fitz ran his hand down his face.

Fitz, looked up, surprised, "Umm, maybe I should start, Sophie!" he added when she opened her mouth.

"Okay," Sophie said, blushing.

"I know you like me. I've been to your emotional center enough times to know that, and I'm so sorry. That's why we're near the calming flowers," he said, gesturing to a pink flower behind him.

Sophie's face fell.

"Um, I like Linh."

Sophie ran. HE KNEW I LIKED HIM AND HE REJECTED ME! WHY DID I DO THAT? WHY DID I LET MYSELF HOPE? WHY?

Tears were streaming down her face, but she didn't slow down until she reached the gates of Everglen.

"Come on, we're light leaping this time," choked Sophie, pulling out her home crystal.

"Thank god," Bo muttered as they glittered away.

"So I had a thought, Foster- woah, what happened?" Keefe asked as Sophie appeared at Havenfield.

"Fitz..confessed..feelings...ugh!" Sophie said as she stormed into the house, leaving Keefe and Ro behind.

Sophie heard Ro call behind her, "Got anything to say about that Hunkyhair?"

Sophie ran straight passed Edalyn and Grady to her room.

"Gah!" she screamed into her pillow.

WHY? asked Sophie right before she went to sleep.