He knew he had to say something but he didn't know what. Would he tell her the horrible truth? That she witnessed a murder and was on the run now? That there were people out to kill her? That she'd spent weeks preparing for the murder trial?

The trial.

Fuck.

He almost forgot. How was she supposed to testify when she couldn't even remember anything?

This was bad, really bad.

According to the protocols, he had to call Garett, his supervisor. But that would set in motion a whole array of events he didn't want to go through right now. They'd send an armored transport to pick her up and move her around, but seeing her in this state he was sure it'd be too much for her and her fragile state. She wouldn't know what was going on, and the thought made his heart ache.

But it was going to have to wait. He had to focus on her right now, and her health. It'd be better to keep her close, and safe, in a peaceful environment. Hopefully, she'd get her memory back and he wouldn't have to let her go for a little longer.

"Do you remember me?" he asked. He tried to sound as gentle as possible but his voice just came out strained.

She shook her head no and looked as if she could start to cry at any moment. He couldn't imagine what she was feeling right now. She basically lost her entire sense of self.

She was a stranger to her own body.

"Who am I?" her voice croaked. It was the first time she'd spoken since waking up.

He looked at her while clenching and unclenching his jaw before answering.

"Katherine Peterson."

It was obvious she was trying her very best to remember, but just couldn't. But he could also see she was ready to believe every word he said.

"And who are you?" she asked shyly.

It suddenly dawned on him she was acting this way because she had a crush on him. The thought made him smirk and think back to their early days when she acted like that around him all the time.

Lately, she'd been acting less shy and more free, seemingly getting used to being around him. But she couldn't remember any of that, pushing them back to square one.

"I'm Darius Gardner," he explained.

"Oh." She looked away for a bit before looking back at him with a blush gracing her cheeks. "And what are-- Wh- Um... H-how--"

She stammered and fell over her own words, but he knew what she was asking him.

"You're my fiancée."

It was evident the statement brought her relief. This, in turn, made his heart swell. She was happy to be his fiancée. She still wanted him, even after losing her memories.

He just hoped she wouldn't get too mad when she regained them, but he really couldn't afford to explain the whole name situation to her right now. Sensing her next question, he decided to save them some time and just answer it before she could ask.

"You fell down a ladder while we were painting the house and fell on your head. They couldn't wake you up."

She clung to every word he said, taking it in and processing it. It took a while, but when she was ready for more information she asked him, "How long was I asleep for?"

He shifted his weight until he leaned against her bed. "Since yesterday afternoon."

"And you stayed here the whole time?" she asked with awe. When he nodded her eyes went wide before she looked down again at her hands.