- Chapter 40 -

Rested on the wall leaned Anisa's head. She hadn't gotten an ounce of sleep. During that process, she also prayed fajr and kept waiting patiently for any news related to Tahir. 

The feeling of struggle was the inner core of all her emotions. In this year alone, she lost her father, and another man she considered a father. She was betrayed by her stepmother and almost murdered by the biggest shareholder of her hotel. But, things didn't stop there. She even found out she's an orphan. The person she thought was her biological father was a lie. 

She was able to withstand all of those. With patience, her forgiveness would slowly consume her and those around her. But this suffering was different. It was unlike any other. Some would wonder how she's still standing and hasn't broken yet. Yet, that was the beauty of her nature. 

Tahir would remind her of her resilience. But, without him, who would make sure she didn't fall?

"Your highness, I just got word from your secretary that the nation demands information regarding the status of Abbas and his attempts of fleeing the country," Saif walked up and stood across from her. 

"Tell them I'm not stable to make any interviews or anything related to the country," she said with no emotion in her tone. 

"I'm afraid that I should remind you of your position in this country then," Saif sighed. He didn't want to be the one to do this. But, no one else was going to. 

"You're the princess of Dubai. The only heir that's closest to the late King Salman. It's your duty to put the citizens of the country over any other priorities that stumble upon your life. Even as you breathe your last breaths, your duty is to serve the people of this country and ensure they have a future to look forward to," Saif stated, "I'm in as much pain as you are. The man you care for is my brother. But, some things are more urgent and more important no matter the relationships we have with people. I've learned that the hardest way possible. The most I can do for you is to bring the interviewer here, where your safety is ensured and then you can go back to mourning."

Saif's speech served as a wake-up call for her. He almost sounded like her father. It was also the most she had ever heard Saif speak. So, eventually, she nodded in response and wiped a tear that had escaped. 

It didn't take long before Saif returned with a woman, holding her phone in her hand with a notepad, filled with writing. She seemed to be a lot older than Anisa and by the looks of it, wiser, too. 

"Good morning your highness, I apologize for being here while you're in this condition, but the country demands it," The woman apologetically said. 

Anisa simply nodded, understanding, or at least, trying to understand. 

"I don't want to waste any more of your time so I'll go straight to the questions if you don't mind?" 

"No, I don't," Anisa replied.

"Very well," the woman sighed, "As we're all aware, Abbas was to be reported had anyone seen him. But, authorities have now confirmed his death. It is stated that you were at the scene. Is this true?"

Anisa nodded, "Yes, but I didn't happen to see how. All I heard were bullets spiraling, going back and forth."

"It seems like a different matter was of your attention at the time?" The woman asked

Anisa looked up at her this time and let out a deep sigh. 

"Yes. The door in front of you holds the man that saved my life. If not for him, I wouldn't be sitting before you and having the answers to your questions that the country demands."