extra chapter ❚ remembrance

Start from the beginning

He felt his bones hurt and tiredness was slowly lulling his consciousness to sleep--that was just the expected reaction after training with his father. As his mind processed the thought, a faint echo of noise reached his ears. He didn't pay attention to it at first, but after realizing that none of his relatives would be still down in the training area, his curiosity grew over the need for rest.

Sliding silently towards the room from where the noise originated, he peeked over the corner a little. His dark eyes widened a little upon seeing the blonde haired kid alone in one of the rooms used for training, trying out different fighting stances one after another. Her body was considerably healthier-looking than before, even if it was covered in bruises and sweat from her activities.

Illumi wouldn't admit it, but he felt rather fascinated by the determination she demonstrated. More than once she faltered, falling on her knees because her muscles gave out, and yet she never failed to raise back up.

He looked at her for a few minutes, before deciding to show himself.

«You should go to rest. Training is good, but too much will break you.»

The other child turned around abruptly, panting from the fatigue but falling into a basic fighting stance. She relaxed slightly, upon seeing it was him. Still, she didn't speak back.

Illumi got back to his room, got himself under a deserved shower and fell asleep almost instantly.

.

.

.

He didn't expect to find a piece of candy hanging from the handle of his door the morning after.

.

.

.

"Eirene". That's what grandfather calls her.

It's not because I asked that I know--I mean, she wouldn't answer me anyway, so I don't bother anymore.

Still, the candy I found some time ago... it might have been from her, or so I suppose. Grandfather laughed when I told him about our meeting and the gift, telling me to keep it up.

What did he mean? What should I "keep up"?

He confuses me, but that's something I'll worry about in my free time. For now, I have to focus on getting the job done.

Father is looking at me, after all.

.

.

.

The hit had gone rather smoothly, without particular positive or negative highlights.

Illumi considered it a job well done, if he could say so himself: he finished in a decent amount of time, didn't leave traces and neither had alerted anyone about his presence. His father simply nodded at him when he was back to the decided meeting place.

There weren't words of praise or encouragement--he just did his job, after all.

The ride back home had been silent, except for Silva mentioning to him some other job he could take on in the next few days. To the easier hits, he could go alone already, as his father was going to be busy since Zeno had taken a little "vacation" to continue his pupil's training.

The dark haired child could only listen and accept the ones his father pushed into his schedule. He also kind of blamed it on Eirene, too, that his family was getting a little short handed to handle the requests currently taken in.