Chapter 15

Darkpaw gazed at the warrior before him, his mouth agape. His fur prickled. 

"What could you give me?" He asked, digging his claws into the ground.

Shadowripple took a few steps forward, his muzzle a mouse length from Darkpaw's. His breath billowed through Darkpaw's whiskers. Darkpaw didn't flinch away though, he held Shadowripple's gaze.

"Power." Shadowripple breathed. Darkpaw's eyes widened at the word and his heart beat fast in his chest. "You want to prove yourself a warrior that the other clans will fear. That they'll respect. You want to be leader." Excitement fizzed through Darkpaw's entire body as Shadowripple spoke those words. He did want to be leader and everything else Shadowripple had mentioned. 

"What does all that have to do with you?" He questioned, his amber eyes searching Shadowripple's gray ones. Shadowripple smiled at him, a kind of twisted one but Darkpaw wasn't scared. The Dark Forest warrior chuckled, so softly that Darkpaw barely heard him.

"We can help you... Help you achieve what you want most... We can help you get power..." Shadowripple murmured. 

"We..?" Darkpaw asked, glancing behind Shadowripple. Shadowripple gave him another twisted smile and backed up. The ferns rustled and more shadowy cats stepped out, facing Darkpaw.

"We are warriors of the great Dark Forest... We're just like you..." Shadowripple flicked his tail at the warriors behind him.

"Just like me?" Darkpaw repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"We wanted power, revenge, more than that of a normal warrior out of life. And in our efforts to get it, we were named evil. But we're not evil Darkpaw..." Shadowripple explained in a breathy tone. 

Darkpaw looked down at his paws, his mind racing. He felt strangely at home in this shadowy, dark place. It felt comforting to be here. In the presence of these great warriors...

"Think about how you felt when you killed Scarfur or how many times you wanted to claw that mouse-brained deputy of yours. You've always wanted to prove yourself a strong warrior, a leader, that your clanmates will respect. They'll see you for more than what they do right now." Shadowripple whispered. 

Darkpaw bit his lip, staring at his paws. They were red with his father's blood. He had wanted to kill him... Darkpaw blinked and his heart quickened. He was scared of himself at first when he struck that fatal blow... but listening to Shadowripple... That emotion had changed to... excitement... confidence... He wanted to feel like that more... He wanted cats to respect him... to see him for more than just a half-clan cat or a mother's reject... He raised his head and looked into Shadowripple's gray eyes. 

"You said you could help me...?" He whispered.

Shadowripple smiled, excitement burning in his eyes. "Yes I did... We can train you become a great warrior... One all clans will fear and respect..." 

"Train me...?" Darkpaw asked.

"We can teach you battle moves that StarClan and the living clans have never heard of." Shadowripple explained, padded over until his was a tail length in front of the apprentice. "You'll become what you've always wanted..." 

"I accept your offer Shadowripple." Darkpaw replied, his amber eyes burning with anticipation. 

"Excellent." Shadowripple purred. He stepped forward and rested his muzzle on top of Darkpaw's head. "I look forward to training you..."

Darkpaw slowly opened up his eyes. He stretched, his muscles sore from the earlier day's battle. His dream hung clearly in his mind. Wait... his dream! Firefox! He had admitted his feelings for her! Darkpaw's eyes were wide, he shoved his muzzle into his paws. I'm such a mousebrain! Why did I tell her! Aarrgg! Darkpaw groaned. He pushed those thoughts away, and began thinking about his visit to the Dark Forest. I'm getting extra training! He squealed to himself. I'm going to be a great warrior! I'll prove everyone who every doubts me that their all wrong about me! I'm so much more than they think I am! I'm so much more...

Darkpaw got to his paws and shook out his pelt. He winced as he felt a sting on the side of his face. Right. Swanfeather didn't treat me yesterday... Another scar, then...? He glanced down at his paws, they were still stained red. 

Darkpaw padded out of the Apprentice's burrow. He breathed in the early morning air.

"Darkpaw!" It was Wolfpaw. Darkpaw turned to his friend.

"Hey Wolfpaw." He meowed. Wolfpaw stopped short, raising an eyebrow.

"Wolfpaw? I'm Wolfblaze now! You missed my warrior ceremony after you ran off." Wolfblaze explained.

"I missed it! Great StarClan! Wolfpa- uh, blaze! I'm so sorry!" Darkpaw apologized, pressing his nose to Wolfblaze's cheek.

"Whoa, whoa. It's okay Darkpaw!" Wolfblaze returned his nuzzle. Darkpaw gave his chest a few embarrassed licks. "Hey, uh... Are you okay...? You know, after yesterday..." Wolfblaze asked, quietly.

Darkpaw looked at his friend.

"Yeah... I'm okay..." He replied. 

"Are you sure..?" Wolfblaze asked, leaning closer to him.

"Yes, I'm fine." Darkpaw meowed. "I'm going to go wash up." Darkpaw changed the topic, gesturing at his bloody paws.

"Alright. I had my vigil so I'm pretty tired. I'm going to catch some sleep." Wolfblaze said, a yawn racking his body.

"Sleep well." Darkpaw meowed, padding over to the camp entrance, where Crimsonclaw and Nightfire were reinforcing the camp boundary with thorn vines. 

Stormhawk was setting up patrols, near the Meeting Rock that Adderstar was scrubbing with wet moss.

"We need to ensure our boundaries are safe from intruders! Mark every border!" He ordered, waving with his tail for the patrol to leave camp.

Darkpaw ducked out of camp before the patrol reached him. He dug his bloody claws into the rocky soil. I took Scarfur's life... I killed him... But I had a good reason... I got my first taste of revenge... The Dark Forest will help me become everything I've ever wanted... I know they will...