Chapter 38

Darkblood's eyes watched the spot where Pinepaw had been. It was nothing but forest now.

He felt the air beside him shift, and Darkblood turned his head to watch Silverpaw next to him.

She looked deep in thought for a moment, her blue eyes focused on the spot where Pinepaw had been standing.

Slowly, Silverpaw turned to face him, her silver fur dappled by the outline of the leafless trees overhead.

"Darkblood..."

He met her gaze. "Silverpaw..." He started. He couldn't help but notice that her joking demeanor with Pinepaw before was gone.

"I have something to tell you." They said, almost at the same time.

Silverpaw's eyes widened slightly as Darkblood looked at her, saying nothing for a moment.

"Y-You go first.." She mumbled, her tail swishing against the ground, as she looked down at her paws.

Darkblood's gaze swept around the clearing for a moment before coming back to Silverpaw.

"I know you, Silverpaw. Or at least I hope I do." Silverpaw raised her head to meet his amber eyes. "And I know how you must be feeling right now," Darkblood paused. "Because I feel it too."

"You've had to go through so much..." Silverpaw murmured, glancing downward. Darkblood opened his mouth to reply but her gaze stopped him.

"Darkblood." She said, her voice louder now. "I-I can't stay here anymore. I can't train here anymore. This isn't-This isn't the place- I'm not-" 

Darkblood swept his tail across her mouth. Silverpaw looked up at him.

"I know. I know, Silverpaw." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting the darkness settle before opening them again. "And I also can't let you stay here, not after everything that's happened. Everything that could happen." Darkblood said, shaking his head as he glanced away from her. "I can't let you get hurt like he did... What kind of mentor would I be then...?" He continued, his voice on the verge of cracking.

Silverpaw took a paw step forward so her fur brushed against Darkblood's. "You'll always be my mentor, Darkblood. You don't realize how much you've done for me, and Pinepaw."

Darkblood felt a lump rise in his throat, and he leaned forward and rested his head on top of Silverpaw's.

"This isn't the place for me..." Silverpaw whispered into his chest, as Darkblood closed his eyes. "And it's not because of you, Darkblood. I-I'm not like Wildtalon, or Scarfur, or any of these other cats. I'm... myself."

Darkblood pulled away slowly, opening his eyes as he did so. 

"And I told Pinepaw to be happy, to live his life. I think I need that for myself as well. And I'm not going to get that here." Silverpaw meowed, looking up at her mentor.

Darkblood looked down at Silverpaw. Then he nodded his head.

Silverpaw breathed what could almost be a sigh of relief.

Darkblood took a step forward and pressed against his apprentice, his tail coming to rest against her back.

He felt Silverpaw's body shift against his, her head resting on his chest.

"You're not just my mentor, Darkblood. You're my friend." The young silver cat whispered.

Darkblood paused before saying, "Thank you, Silverpaw. For everything you've done for me."

Silverpaw pulled away first to look Darkblood in the eyes. "I think we're going to wake up soon." She said.

"I think you're right." Darkblood agreed, letting out a breath.