Chapter 1

Darkkit stretched out his legs, yawning. He didn't want to wake up. The black kit was having a great dream. He was leading his clan in a battle to claim territory. He had been Darkstar. 

Darkkit opened his amber eyes, he looked around at the dirt walls of the Foxclan Nursery. According to the clan elders, all the dens in Foxclan camp had once been fox burrows.

Darkkit stood up and lifted each of his paws in turn.

His mother, Thornscar, a gray she-cat with green eyes, was curled up in a separate nest away from his. Darkkit shook his pelt, he was used to this. His mother had never slept next to him, ever. The only time she had ever let him near her was when he needed to suckle as a newborn. And that was two moons ago... He had been about one moon then and now he was three moons.

Darkkit gave his pelt another shake and crawled up the slope into the clearing above. 

Morning sunshine shone down on the camp, making Darkkit's pelt shine a bright black, like the feathers of a raven.

He made his way over to the Prey Pile that was near the Meeting Rock, that was where Foxclan's leader made speeches and announcements to the clan. Darkkit picked a small vole for himself and padded over to the Leader's den, Darkkit liked eating by this burrow. He wanted so badly to be leader himself one day. 

Darkkit dug into his vole, while he chewed, he stared around at the clan camp. He sniffed the air, through the scent of prey he could smell one of Foxclan's fox members, Crimsonclaw standing just outside of the camp boundary. He had probably been guarding the camp throughout the night.

Crimsonclaw shoved his way back into the camp, he nodded at another fox, Firefox. Firefox gave him a small smile and padded out of camp to start her guard shift. Crimsonclaw padded over to the Prey Pile, grabbed  a mouse and padded over to where Darkkit was sitting. Darkkit drew his tongue over his jaws, as Crimsonclaw sat down next to him. 

"Early riser, aren't we?" Crimsonclaw chuckled, his deep voice rumbling. 

Darkkit dipped his head. 

"Said the fox that was on camp guard duty all night." He retorted, smirking. 

Crimsonclaw smiled and took a big bite of his mouse. 

Darkkit finished off his vole and started grooming his fur.

Crimsonclaw gulped down the last of his mouse and drew his paw over his red ears. Crimsonclaw was more red than orange, unlike most foxes, who were usually orange.

"Well I don't know about you Darkkit, but I gotta go get some Starclan given sleep. I'm so tired!" Crimsonclaw said, letting out a long yawn. 

Darkkit waved a paw at him. 

"You go do that." He smiled. 

Crimsonclaw gave him a final nod before padding off to the Warrior's burrow, which was the den nearest to the camp boundary. The camp was surrounded by small, prickly, shrubs and bushes.

Darkkit flicked his ears and glanced around, his gaze caught sight of a muscular gray tom cat padding up from the Apprentice's burrow. Darkkit recognized this cat as Wolfpaw. 

"Hey Wolfpaw!" Darkkit called, waving with his tail. 

Wolfpaw turned in his direction and padded over. 

"Hey Darkkit." He mumbled. 

Darkkit knew that Wolfpaw was a pretty antisocial cat and he didn't really talk to anyone. Darkkit lowered his tail and wrapped it around his paws. 

"How's apprentice training going..?" Darkkit asked. 

Wolfpaw shrugged his shoulders. 

"Fine." 

"Riiggghhtttt......" Darkkit drew the word out. 

"How's being a kit going.." Wolfpaw let out a rare laugh and a smirk, Wolfpaw was also pretty serious almost all the time.

Darkkit let out a hiss. 

"Wishing I was an apprentice already..." 

Wolfpaw laughed softly, so no cat would hear except Darkkit and himself. 

Darkkit twitched his claws. 

"Darkkit!" 

Darkkit's head shot up, his turned his head to face the cat that had called to him. He knew that voice and he didn't like it.

"Yeah.... Mom....." He called across the clearing. 

"Get your tail over here, now!" Thornscar yowled. 

Darkkit dropped his gaze to his paws and stood up.

Wolfpaw pressed his pelt against Darkkit's, for comfort. 

Darkkit took a deep breath, he knew that all the cats and foxes knew what his mother thought of him and how she treated him.

Darkkit padded across the clearing and stopped at his mother's paws.

Darkkit met his mother's burning green eyes with his calm amber gaze. 

"What?" He asked, flatly. 

Thornscar glared down at her son. 

"Why were you talking to those foxes and cats?" 

"You were watching me!" Darkkit hissed. 

Thornscar bared her teeth. 

"Yes I was. I have some advice for you Darkkit." She growled. 

Darkkit raised an eyebrow in confusion. 

Thornscar leaned her head down to her son's eye level. Their noses were a grass length away from each other.

"The world and the creatures in it are selfish and don't care about you, don't get close or you'll get hurt..."

Hey Bookworms! So what do you think of the first chapter? Also, what's up with Thornscar.... Why is she so mean to her son...? Anyway, all questions aside, I hope you guys enjoyed this and please, come along for the ride because this book is going to be awesome and explain quite a bit about what made Darkstar evil. Now enjoy!

- BookwormFanFictions :D