Chapter 37

Silverpaw leaned forward and pressed her forehead against Pinepaw's. Darkblood watched as Pinepaw form seemed to grow smaller, it was if he was a kit again.

Silverpaw drew back and Pinepaw straightened up, meeting Silverpaw's gaze.

"I'm so sorry..." Silverpaw whispered.

Pinepaw sent her a smile that both Silverpaw and Darkblood noticed immediately didn't reach his eyes.

"This wasn't meant for me. This life, here in these woods." Pinepaw motioned with his tail for Silverpaw to come closer to him. "And it isn't meant for you either... I think you know it to." Pinepaw murmured in the she-cat's ear, quickly glancing over at Darkblood, who he knew couldn't hear him.

He pulled his head back slightly and watched as Silverpaw gave a small nod of her head. 

"I do." She answered.

"I wish I could stay.. but I can't..." Pinepaw breathed. "Not here at least..."

"I know..." Silverpaw replied, taking a few more steps back from the StarClan apprentice.

Pinepaw opened his mouth to say something else but stopped and closed it again, instead giving Silverpaw a duck of the head.

Darkblood stiffened as he felt something brush against his side. He turned sharply, his claws coming swiftly out of their sheaths. 

He breathing hitched as Firefox placed a soft paw on his shoulder. He felt his body slump and a tears pricked his eyes. Firefox's green eyes were sparkling with pain.

"I'm so sorry it happened like this..." Firefox murmured against Darkblood's muzzle, her sweet scent engulfing the dark tom like a mother cat cuddling a kitten.

A small whimper escaped Darkblood's jaws and he pressed further against Firefox's soft fur.

Firefox stepped abruptly back causing Darkblood to stumble forward before regaining his footing.

She held Darkblood's gaze just a moment longer before turning around and padding over to where Pinepaw and Silverpaw where standing. 

"It's time to go, Pinepaw..." 

"Okay..." 

With a quick glance at Firefox, Pinepaw turned to face Silverpaw and Darkblood.

"I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough for this, Darkblood." Pinepaw faced his mentor.

Darkblood felt a growl escape his lips and he padded swiftly up to his apprentice. Pinepaw began to stumble backward, his starry eyes widening. Darkblood caught him by the shoulder and pulled the younger cat into an embrace. A short gasp came from beneath his chin as Pinepaw whimpered against his mentor's chest.

"I was the one that wasn't strong enough to tell you to leave this place when you had the chance." 

"You're stronger than you think. Look at all you've faced throughout your life."

"You speak too highly of me, Pinepaw..."

Pinepaw pulled back and raised his head to look at Darkblood. "No. I don't believe that." A small smirk crossed his face that Darkblood couldn't help but give him a small cuff to the ears to please him.

"I'll never forget this. What the two of you have done for me." Pinepaw turned to hold Silverpaw's gaze. 

"Go live your life, Pinepaw. Be happy for me." A smile broke across Silverpaw's face and Pinepaw brushed his tail along her cheek in a playful manner.

"I will, you river cat!" Pinepaw and Silverpaw shared a small laugh.

Pinepaw turned and padded over to where Firefox was waiting at the edge of the clearing.

"I'm ready to go."

Firefox nodded and brushed her tail along his back.

"Follow me." She murmured and with one last glance at Darkblood, she turned and padded off into the ferns.

Pinepaw started to follow but turned and held the gazes of Darkblood and Silverpaw one last time.

With a wave of his tail and a duck of his head, Pinepaw turned back to the trail ahead and bounded off into the dark.