Ethan

Grayson and I were never super close, but we still kind of know everything about each other.

I know we'd do anything to save each other, but that's how brothers are in the mafia. If someone betrays or hurts one of our men, there are repercussions that come with the savagery.

Grayson and I would take a bullet for each other, and we'd never hurt each other because we're brothers.

But that doesn't mean I want to sometimes.

I am older than Grayson by twenty minutes.

That's right, you heard me.

Grayson is my twin brother. I am the eldest son by twenty minutes, which means I beat my brother to the next spot in line for the throne. It also means that any of my future sons would beat him to the throne too.

That was something I always knew he kind of resented me for. For the fact that he'd most likely never be king, and that he'd never have the power he wanted.

He'd only ever be a prince, and he'd only ever be second in command in New York.

He never necessarily said anything about it, but I knew it bothered him deep down.

But because he wasn't in the direct line to the throne, he didn't have to be as careful about choosing a wife.

I chose Emma for various reasons. One, it would help the New York-Californian allyship grow, and there would be a better chance at The Islands having peace within each other. Two, she came from a very well-respected family, and that was a great factor to have. Not to mention that she was one of the most respected Princesses of The Islands. She was one of the next princesses to turn 18, and she was simply the best choice. Definitely the most sought after Princess in The Islands.

Maybe she didn't quite know it, but she was one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen. Sure, I've had my fair share of flings and one night stands, but none of them ever compared to how beautiful Emma is.

Ever.

I always knew of Emma, but I never got to meet her until we got engaged. I probably would've liked to have met her before, but this is just the way it worked out.

Either way she is someone I really admire.

I never pictured myself as the kind of person who would be open to the idea of love. I always kind of understood that marriage was more of a business thing around here.

But somehow Emma changed how I felt.

As soon as I knew she was going to be my wife, I knew that I was lucky. There were several other princes asking for her hand, but I was the one her father shook on. I liked that she was mine, and for some reason I felt like I was starting to enjoy the fact that I was hers too.

I never thought I'd be the type of guy to send letters to his fiancée, but Emma brought out that side of me I didn't know existed. I found myself sending her flowers and chocolates, and little notes telling her that I couldn't wait for our next visit.

In our world, you don't really get much of a choice in regards to who you marry, but I was happy that Emma was my future wife. She was someone that I could see myself falling for.

I couldn't help but smile every time I walked into my room to find one of her letters sitting on my desk, the envelope addressed to me. Her handwriting was something I always looked forward to seeing, and it matched her perfectly.

I could almost imagine her smiling with rosy cheeks as she sat down to write me a letter.

I loved our visits even more than our letters, because seeing her eyes light up when I said something funny, or seeing her smile because she was happy to see me made my heart flutter every time.

She was the kind of girl who made you want to fall in love with her.

Honestly, I was happy about that. I'd much rather fall in love with her than both of us have a miserable marriage. I guess we both were lucky that this arrangement had worked out the way it did. She was the only Princess from The Islands that I ever would've wanted to marry.

Preparations throughout the palace were being made, more staff members than I even knew that we had coming in to decorate and get the Palace ready for the week of the wedding.

Emma and her family were arriving in two days, so of course there had to be preparations made. In our families, welcoming the bride into the groom's family palace is a big deal.

I remember walking into my room a week and a half before the wedding to see that Emma wrote another letter.

I smiled to myself as I grabbed it off of my desk and sat down on my bed, opening the carefully sealed envelope.

Ethan,

I can't believe there is a week and a half until we get married! If I'm being honest I remember being terrified of you the first time we met, but that changed pretty quickly. I feel so lucky to be marrying someone like you. You're so smart, and so sweet. I like seeing that sweet side of you, and I like that you only show that side of you when you're with me. It makes me feel like you're really mine. Like that part of you is only mine, and that makes me happy. I feel really lucky that my father chose you out of anyone he could've chosen. I'm not sure I would like any of the other princes as much as I like you. I can't wait to see you again. Only a few more days. Ill be counting down.

Love,

Emma

I smiled as I got up from my bed, putting the letter back in its envelope and sitting down at my desk. I put the letter in the drawer were I keep all of her other letters she's sent me, and I take a piece of paper and pen out to write her back.

My smile grew bigger knowing this is one of the last letters I'd have to send for a while. She'd be here soon.