Emma

I walked into my father's office, seeing Ethan standing next to his own father. I swallowed nervously, my hands fidgeting behind my back as I walked towards the three men.

"Emma, nice of you to join us," my father said. I gave him a knowing glare, but immediately softened my face. I didn't want to get scolded later.

King Sean stepped forward, taking my hand and kissing it. "It's a pleasure to meet the woman who will marry my son," he said.

I gave him a nod. "It's nice to meet you."

Ethan took my hand from his father, then slipping a diamond ring onto my ring finger.

As I looked at the ring, I could feel Ethan looking at me. I was nervous all of the sudden, and I couldn't bring myself to let my eyes meet his.

My father and King Sean left us alone with the exception of Lorence and Marshall, who were in the corner of the room.

"Emma," he said. I finally looked up into his dark eyes. They were guarded, and I couldn't read anything from them. Almost as if I was gazing into a wall, but the wall was living and breathing.

"Hmmm?"

"Why are you afraid?" he asked.

"I-I'm not," I said, looking back down at the ring.

"You're gonna have to get used to me, and I think that starts with you being able to look me in the eye for more than two seconds."

I looked back up.

"I might not be the best at this kind of thing, but you're never going to have to worry about being in danger. You're always gonna be safe. That's the one thing I can guarantee."

"Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me. You're going to be my wife, that's the least I can do."

I nodded, looking down again. His hand was cold against mine, and I wondered if it would ever be warm.

I don't know why meeting him for the first time made me feel so sad. Maybe it was because I knew this was the end of my freedom; I would be his forever, and I didn't have a choice. In our families, marriages are forever and no matter how unhappy and miserable you are, you stay.

Maybe I was mourning for the fact that I didn't get to choose who I was marrying; that I'd never fall in love the way people do in books and movies.

I would be his, but would he really be mine? It's not like he was ever going to fall in love with me or anything. Men in the mafia aren't really the kind of people to show emotions or feelings.

Not even behind closed doors.

It's supposed to make them tough, but it really only makes them loveless.

Family around here is less love, and more loyalty than anything. You take care of your family, and you willingly do anything for them.

Sure, maybe mothers, daughters and sisters are more loving, but fathers, husbands, and brothers are more protective than sentimental.

Now this was permanent. Now this was real, and now there was no getting away from this.

"I guess this makes me—"

"All mine," Ethan said. I looked up, and there was his cold gaze meeting my eyes.

"All yours," I said, nearly shuddering at the thought. I was already shaking with nerves anyway.

Ethan leaned closer to my ear, and I nearly flinched. I guess I had a reason to be scared, even though he said I didn't have to worry. Thoughts ran through my mind about how vicious he's been in the past.

Looking a man in the eye while killing him, another one with his bare hands. More men killed that he didn't think twice about, and now Ethan's here in front of me, close to me.

I know he's not going to hurt me, but that doesn't mean I'm not afraid of him.

"By the way," he said, his hand landing on the small of my waist. "I like this dress. It makes you look alluring. But this is only something I should be able to see."

Right on cue, Prince Grayson walked into the room.

"Ah, I see you've met your graceful bride," Grayson said, a smirk rising on to his face as he walked closer. I could physically see the sibling rivalry between them. Suddenly, I was thankful for Ethan's presence. 

He looked over at Grayson before moving in front of me, so Grayson couldn't see me.

"You're interrupting," Ethan said. Grayson laughed.

"Interrupting what? 

"Just get out, or else I'll cut off your--"

"Grayson, leave your brother alone," someone said from the doorway. I looked up, and there was Ethan's mother. Queen Lisa of New York. 

Grayson walked to Lisa, and then she pulled him out of the room. 

"We should probably go to dinner," I said.

"Lead the way," Ethan said, gesturing for me to walk ahead of him. Marshall and Lorence walked with us to the dining room, and the last spots open were mine and Ethan's. Luckily, I got to sit next to Lia, but Ethan got stuck between me and my father. My mother sat across from Ethan. 

Across from me was Queen Lisa, then Prince Grayson, and then King Sean. 

It was a quiet dinner, with the exception of my parents and Ethan's parents talking. The rest of us were expected to be quiet. That's just how it worked. 

At least family dinner wasn't always mandatory. I often found myself eating dinner with Lia and Raven. I'd miss that once the wedding was over. I'd move into a penthouse with Ethan to start a new life on New York Island.

After dinner was over and everyone left, I washed up and changed into some clothes to sleep in before Lia and Raven came into my room. 

"Hey, girls."

Immediately, Lia wrapped her arms around me. "I don't want you to leave."

"Lia, the wedding isn't for another whole year. We have time."

"Will you still visit?" Raven asked, joining the hug. 

"Of course, Ray. I'm always gonna be your sister. No matter what."

"Can we have a sleepover?" Lia asked. 

We had a lot of sleepovers growing up, where the three of us would sleep in the same room. Sometimes for comfort, sometimes for fun. There was no doubt in my mind that tonight my sisters wanted to be near me for comfort.

"Of course," I said. "Climb in, and I'll be in in a minute. I have to brush my teeth."

Lia nodded, Raven already under the covers of my bed. 

As I went to grab my toothbrush, I was met with the shine of my ring. 

I was glad my sisters were staying in my room tonight.