-Chapter 9- Let's just leave things where they lay Carter

My family lived over a hundred miles away from any civilization in any direction. Only on special occasions did we ever leave the sanctuary of our secluded home and venture into the human city. We attended the only church in the entire area on Christmas and Easter masses. Every year twice a year, my mother would force me into a hideous dress and heels and make me stand with a crowed group of old men and babies, singing and crying to ‘O Come all ye Faithful’.

            I opened my eyes cautiously and found that I was sitting in the church. The church was brightly lit and the smell of incense burned in the air. I looked around and saw no one inside, I was completely alone. My eyes wandered around the small church, dropping from the wooden rafters to the white walls and the white candles. The small flames made the white walls have an orange tint. I looked down at my hands that were folded in my lap and sighed deeply.

“I always loved bringing you here.” A feminine voice said next to me. I looked over to see my mother dressed in a white lace dress, her blonde grey hair falling loosely around her shoulders.

“Mom?” I asked quietly, choking over my words. She turned her head and her blue eyes sparkled brightly. Her light pink lips curved into a smile and she reached out to hold my hand. I hesitantly took it and I felt her fingers squeeze as they wrapped around my own.

“I’m here baby girl, I’m here for you.” She said, giving my hand another squeeze. My father and brother have appeared behind her, my father’s hand on my mother’s shoulder.

“We’re all here for you Carter.” He spoke with a tone of absolute compassion and love in his voice. My eyes began to water and tears slipped from my eyes and onto the thighs of my blue jeans.

“How am I going to go on without you guys?” I asked as I stood up to wrap my family in a hug. My brothers both put their arms around me and my parents put their arms around them.

“We are always with you kid, no matter what.” Colton said with a tear rolling down his cheek.

“Carter, you’re glowing.” Corbin commented, releasing his hands and stepping away from me. I looked down and saw a golden light that surrounded me. The light burned as it attached to my skin. My family stepped back from me as the light turned into a blistering heat.

“What’s happening mom? Dad, what’s going on?” I asked as my skin burned, the feeling of fire licking up and down my body, surrounding me.

“You’re going to be fine Carter; everything is going to be fine.”

“AHHH!” I woke up, slamming my fists against the sheets of the bed. A woman stood up and walked to the door as I flailed myself around on the bed. One of my wrists and my ankles were bound to the bed by rope. I struggled against the restrains as I heard talking outside the room. The burning had been diluted to a throbbing. I fumbled with the rope with my left hand, nearly untying my right arm. The rough rope rubbed on my wrist as I tried to get it off.

“Yes!” I screamed in delight as the cord broke. I sat up and removed the thin white blanket, throwing it on the carpeted floor. My clothed had changed from the black stained wedding dress to a dark red V-neck t shirt and black sweat pants.