-Chapter 5- Hope Never Does Anyone Any Good

I slumped against the damp cell wall and covered my face with my cold hands.

‘I need to get out of here. I will surly die if I stay any longer.’ I thought about the possible ways of escape. I noticed in the first room I was in, the window was open and we looked pretty close to the ground.

“Gloria,” I whispered, knowing that she could hear me. She turned her head slightly and wriggled her body as close to me as her chains would let her. She sat against the bars and leaned close to me.

“Yes Miss Carter?” She looked awful, her cheeks were sagging and her eyes had lost their hope. I felt horrible that she had been put in a cell. A cage is the absolute worst place to put a werewolf, ever. They hate to be confined and eventually they lose their wolf.

“I need to get out of here.” I spoke; glancing around to make sure no one was watching us. I saw a poor soul in the cell across from mine. His eyes burrowed deep into his head and he looked at the wall with a blank expression.

‘This is a man who has been here way too long.’

“Many people have been trying that for years Miss.”

“I know but it’s my only hope.” I grabbed her hand through the bars and she looked up at me with a knowing look.

“Carter, this isn’t a good idea…but I’ll help you. I know this castle inside and out. I’ll only help on one condition though.”

“Anything,” I said. I was desperate to be rid of this place for good.

“You must go warn my pack. Our Alpha must save us from this place. The pack border is only a few miles east of here. You must go tell him…. oh and take Lyric with you, take her away from this dreadful fortress.”

“I will.” I promised, giving her hand a squeeze. She smiled at me, a full toothy grin.

“Okay, first you must go back to the room you first came to. It’s on the first floor of the east wing. In the bathroom closet you will find your old clothes, the key you had is in your boot. Once you get your old clothes on, you will find a small key above the mirror, this will unlock the window and you can jump and run. Now at exactly sun rise, you must leave this place which will give you about two hours for your journey until they will begin to look for you. After two hours if you have not reached the pack border, Maddox will find you. Do you understand?”

“Yes, thank you.” I said, gratefully.

“And you remember our deal?”

“Yes ma’am” I said with a smile, the thought of being free of this dreary place is so amazing.

“Good, now away with you.” She said with a shoo of her hands and a smile on her face. I began to wonder why Gloria did not want to come with us.

My thoughts were interrupted when Maddox opened the cell door. I twisted myself into the far corner, getting as far away from him as I could.