-Chapter 1- Carter Arabella Andrews

"Why must I do this mother? Does it look like there is a dire need in the world for socialites?" I whined to my mother, Josephine. My mother was a beautiful woman once, I've seen pictures, but once she had my brothers and I it all went down hill. Don't get me wrong, she's still pretty for a forty year old woman, just not as pretty as when she met my father. I felt a sharp slap on my left hand, waking me out of my day dream.
"Carter Arabella Andrews, if you continue to day dream during instruction then you will be cleaning the stables for a week!" She yelled, waving her ruler in the air at the end of the sentence. Her eyes were a beautiful, lively blue, like clear water. Everyone in my family had blue eyes, except for me. Her long blonde hair was greying in patches along her scalp and her face was worn down by scowling.
"I just want what's best for you sweet heart. If humans are able to win the war, god help us, then there could be socialites again."
"Maybe I don't want to be a socialite, maybe I want to be a hunter like dad and Colton and Corbin."
"Most certainly not, women are not hunters, simply as that."
"Dad's friend Sarah is a hunter, one of the best."
"That's not the point!" she screeched. Quickly regaining her composure, she smoothed down the back of her hair and walked over to the seat next to mine. "Carter, sweetie, you can never be a hunter. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. One day you will understand." she spoke quietly and patted my knee. This only fueled my anger.
'How can she say that! She ran away with dad when she was eighteen so she could be a hunter!'
"I don't care, I'm going to be one whether you like it or not." I mumbled as she sighed and frowned at me. She patted my knee then stood up, heading toward my bedroom door. She stopped in my doorway like she might say something but quickly turned and darted into the hallway.
I looked around my pink and cream colored room. The small, twin sized bed sat miserably in the corner, surrounded by mounds of clothes. My walls were littered with any piece of paper I could find about vampires or werewolves or the war.
The war has been going on for centuries with only decade long peace pauses. The battle was originally between the werewolves and the vampires but once the humans were becoming blood bags, they joined the werewolves. Now the humans who joined the war are called hunters, like my family. We specialize in killing small vamp clans or even rouge werewolves who join the vampires.
I ponder this subject as I stare out the window, watching the soft snow flutter past.
"Carter, can you come down here for a minute?" I hear my fathers deep voice beckon me from my room.
I trudge my way out of my room and into the small hallway, dragging my feet until I reach the staircase, knowing fully well I am about to have a talk with my parents yet again about my behavior. I reached the end of the stairs to see a young man in my kitchen whom I have never met before. I smell the air and it smells faintly of blood and rust; vampires. I grab the demon blade that I always keep in my boot and quietly maneuver myself around him until I am facing his back.
"Who the Hell are you?" I ask as I jump onto his back and attempt to pin him on the ground. He easily flips me over, like a rag doll and I see his muscular toned arms for the first time.
Once he pinned me on the ground, I finally got a good look at him.
His eyes were a stormy hazel that were mesmerizing. His sandy colored hair hung in his face as he breathed heavy on top of my body. He was beyond hot, like surface of the sun kind of hot.
"Um, hi I'm Carter. Now that we've met would you mind getting off of me?" I said, pushing his muscular chest off of my rather small one.
"My apologies miss, allow me to introduce myself, I am Chase Peterson." His voice flowed like honey off of his lips. I was nearly drooling just looking at him.
"Chase? Where have I heard this before?"
"We were friends when we were younger, we used to make mud pies in my drive way."
"Chase! I remember now! I dared you to eat one once and you ate the whole thing!" I started to remember my childhood friend. he used to have one front tooth and enough freckles to play connect the dots with. I stood up and gave him a hug, nearly knocking him over again. We laughed as he hugged me back.
"Chase is here to check up on the hunter reports." My dad said, smiling at the two of us. I immediately put my hands behind my back and stepped away from him, looking at the tiled floor.
"So you're a hunter?" I asked, looking up at his eyes.
"Yes, I've been one for two years now, since I turned eighteen." I nodded in understanding. A hunter had to be at least eighteen to start official hunting and training.
"Chase, why don't you come into my office so we can discuss matters." my father stood up and led Chase into the downstairs office. Once he was around the corner my mother nearly jumped out of her seat.
"He's quite the catch isn't he? you two would make such beautiful children! my grand babies would be adorable-"
"Mom!!!"
"I know, I know, you guys have just met but you have to admit he does have delicious muscles." I blushed at her comment and grabbed the back of the chair to steady myself.
"Mother, we're just friends. I will marry when I'm ready, you aren't badgering Colton or Corbin to get married? Why don't you give them more attention?" I said, sliding easily into the chair.
"We heard our names, what's the problem?" my twin brothers said in unison. My brothers looked like they were sixteen but in reality, they're nineteen. The identical twins blonde colored hair parts the same way, their blue eyes have the same sparkle, even their noses had the same bump in the ridge.
"We were just discussing Carter and Chase's relationship." my mother said with a wink.
"There's something off about that guy, he looks human but smells like a-" Colton was cut off by the sound of my father's scream.

Hi guys,
So this is a new book I'm starting. Hope you all like it. The updates will not be fast but i'll try my best. comment or message me with suggestions or just how you feel.

-Rachel <3