Part 5: Routine

This was the fifth night in a row that Lauren had James drive her out to the petrol station after work so that she could talk to the mysterious girl again.

She knew by now to take the stall on the far right while Karla had the stall on the far left, leaving the middle stall open for 'potential customers', as Karla put it.

That was a bit awkward. It was the third night she'd gone to talk to the girl. She was fixing her hair in the mirror while talking to Karla, the pair stopping their conversation as a man walked in and took the middle stall.

It was quiet for a few seconds before a knock sounded through the small bathroom and a mans voice rung out. "How much?" He asked.

Lauren took that as her queue, picking up her phone before shuffling out of the bathroom.

She told Dinah to tell Karla goodbye, handing the young Poly a fifty so that both girls could have some snacks and a drink before leaving with James.

"No...." Lauren said, not believing what Karla had just told her.

"I'm serious, he called me mommy before he came!" Camila told Lauren, the two laughing at the story.

"Not something you're into, I take it?" Lauren asked, her laughter dying down. 

"No! Well... Not with men. To be honest I haven't given it much thought." She replied, Lauren frowning before asking another question.

"Not with men?" She asked. 

"Nothing against them, but I much prefer girls." Karla replied.

"Oh!" Lauren exclaimed. "So you're-"

"I'm gay, Lauren." Karla told her with a small chuckle.

"Sorry, I just assumed because of your... Extracurricular activities, you were straight." Lauren told her abashedly.

"It's alright, Lauren. I just... I don't know. I just knew when I was younger that boys weren't for me. I like girls and that's not something I'm ashamed of. Though I wish I kept it a better seceret when I was younger." She confided.

"May I ask why?" Lauren pushed.

"My parents didn't like the idea and disowned me. I ended up having to drop out of school and now I'm in a bit of a pickle, financially I mean." She told the CEO.

Lauren frowned in thought for a moment before opening her mouth again, "Karla, if you need help... I have money. I... I can get you a place to stay, help you get your GED." She told her.

"I appreciate that Lauren, really. But I have another job interview and assuming this one goes better than the others, I don't need any help." Karla replied.

"Tell me the job you're going for and I'll make it happen, Karla." Lauren pleaded. She wanted to help, to do something to help this amazing girl. She'd never seen her but she was beautiful. Karla was the most genuine person she'd talked to in years.

"It's okay, Lauren. I'll be fine." Karla told her again.

Lauren let out a sigh before nodding her head in defeat.

Suddenly, heavy footsteps echoed the bathroom and Lauren stood up, collecting her things.

"Duty calls, I'll talk to you later, Lauren." Karla told her, a short man walking in a few seconds later.

Lauren nodded her head silently before exiting the bathroom, waving to Dinah and hopping back into the town car. "Home, please." She told James tiredly.

"Well, Miss Cabello, everything looks perfect! You're exactly what we've been looking for. We just have one final question." The interviewer told her, Camila smiling at him brightly as she placed her hands ontop of her crossed legs.

"Ask away," She told him.

"Your GED..." He trailed off slightly and Camila sighed. "It's something that our employer finds highly desirable, but with the right person they have been know to give them time to complete it before starting. Would that be something you'd be willing to do?" He asked, surprising Camila.

"Of course! In fact, I've actually just enrolled into night school so that I can get it." She told him, 'a little white lie won't hurt', she told herself.

"Great!" The man exclaimed, a wide smile spreading across his face as he shuffled all his papers together. "That looks like everything. Let me talk to my boss and we should be getting back to you in a day or two, Camila." He told her.

"Thank you so much," Camila told him, standing up to shake his hand.

Ryan chuckled as he shook her hand, "don't thank me just yet." He told her playfully.

"I'll look forward to hearing from you, Sir." Camila told him before exiting the office.

"That's great, Karla! I'm so glad the interview went well!" Lauren yelled, a huge smile on her face for the girl.

"Calm down, Jauregui. I haven't got the job yet. They want me to get my GED first." Karla told her. 

"I can help you with that, my friend, Ally, is actually a highschool teacher and helps people get there GED in her spare time!" Lauren told her, messaging her friend as she spoke.

"No, Lauren you don't have to-" 

"It's done, Ally can help you after work everyday." Lauren cut her off.

"Lauren it's not that easy. I can't manage off my waitress job, you know that." Karla told her frusturatedly.

"So move into my employee housing? I've told you before, Karla. It's no problem. The rent's cheap and the appartments are nice, trust me." Lauren told her.

"Lauren...." Karla started.

"Just drop by sometime this week and have a look. If you don't like it, I won't ever bring it up again." Lauren bargined, pulling out a set of keys from her purse before placing them on the bathroom counter. "These are for a two bedroom on main. Take a look, spend as much time as you want there and if you like it, it's yours." 

Lauren zipped up her purse again as Karla thought about it in silence. It made sense what the CEO was saying...

"I'll talking to you later, Karla. I have a meeting in the morning. "Lauren yawned.

"Goodnight, Lauren." Camila replied, listeing to her footsteps get quieter and quieter.