Chapter 13. The Hero's Shade

Link camped that night before continuing onward to Mekkar Island. The lake was right next to him, encircling the Great Hyrule Forest. It was supposedly a cursed location where the spirits of children wandered. After his most recent encounter, Link felt glad he was going around it rather than entering it.

He walked alongside the grassy hills as he kept an eye out for the island. It was supposed to be close to the westernmost side of the forest, just off the coast in fact. Link could see the edge of the forest coming up now.

As he moved past the trees and mist, he saw it. A small island that rose several feet above the water, almost level in height with the land the forest was on. But it was way out in the water. Link wasn't sure if he could simply paraglide there. It was too far out—he would lose too much altitude and land in the water. Just hanging on to his paraglider for too long would strain his arms, meaning Link wouldn't be able to swim for long, if at all. Even if he could make it to the island, he wouldn't be able to climb it with strained arms.

Link wasn't unprepared for this though. He anticipated something like this. All he needed was his Sheikah Slate.

He pulled it out and turned on the Cryonis rune. It was able to form blocks of ice using water that the Sheikah Slate was pointed at, even if it were salt water. Link had no idea how any of this worked, only taking information on technology if it benefitted him, like knowledge on how the Guardians functioned—especially the Divine Beasts. All he knew was how to go through the motions to make it work, which was all he cared about.

Link pointed the Slate at the water and pressed the button. A column of ice rose up, perfectly rectangular. He wasn't sure how it was possible, but the ice wasn't at all slippery. Then again, he knew it wasn't the same as natural ice. It was like the Slate purposely designed the ice to not be slick, which was perfectly fine with him.

He leapt onto the icy platform. One thing the Slate didn't take away was the cold, and Link could feel it through the soles of his shoes.

He used the Slate to make another platform. He leapt to the next one. He kept doing this until he arrived at the base of Mekkar Island, which rose above him by at least five meters. He began climbing, pulling his body little by little to the top. It was nothing he couldn't handle. Link was just thankful it wasn't raining.

He pulled himself to the top shortly after, crawling onto solid ground. He got to his feet and started stretching to loosen up his body and prevent aches in his limbs.

He used the opportunity to survey his surroundings. The island didn't look special at all from his perspective. There was nothing but dust and a dead tree. The dead tree didn't give him an odd feeling like the one in the fog, it was just an ordinary dead tree to him.

Whoever wanted to meet him here hadn't arrived yet. Link wondered if they were taking a longer route than he had. He supposed he couldn't do much except wait to see if he came.

He sat down on the ground in the middle of the island. The sun climbed into the sky, only to descend again some time later. Link realized that there was no agreed upon time to meet. Had he already missed it? No, no, surely there would've been another note left behind if that were the case. Maybe they just hadn't arrived yet. So he continued to wait.

With no sign of anyone nearby or any sign of anyone approaching, Link turned to examine his surroundings again in case he missed something. His eyes turned to the dead tree.

The dead tree reminded him of Shamae's encounter with the horseman. Link was even more confused with the revelation that the form he saw him in wasn't his true form. Was he some sort of shapeshifter? Or something else entirely? He'd come to terms with the fact that the horseman must've been a monster or some evil spirit, but he'd never encountered something that could change its form before. The only thing he was aware of that could modify its physical shape and appearance was Calamity Ganon. Could it be a projection of part of Ganon's power, just like Waterblight Ganon? Link could only speculate.