|| 15 - I Set A Desk On Fire ||

I'd almost gotten through all my classes without getting in an unredeemable amount of trouble! And then we had Transfiguration...

Honestly, I thought it was going to be a good class -- it was taught by McGonagall, and Ollivander had specifically said that my wand was good for Transfiguration. So what could go wrong?

Pro tip: never say that. Or even think it. Ever. I mean it. The Fates are too cruel.

The class started normally. I sat with Lily and Rowan and Emilia and the Marauders were roaming around the class bothering the girls in Ravenclaw for the moment, but there were three unusual things I noticed right away.

One -- there was a silver tabby cat with weird rectangles around its eyes sitting on McGonagall's desk.

Two -- Remus was nowhere in sight. He hadn't been in Astronomy and, as I thought about it, he hadn't been in Herbology, either. I wondered if he was sick. I felt a little guilty that I hadn't noticed earlier, but I wasn't too affected by it.

Three -- there was a weird buzzing noise that I couldn't quite place.

"Where's McGonagall?" Rowan asked as we brought out our books about Transfiguration.

I shrugged. "I'm more curious about Remus," I told her as I pulled out my pencil. I was the only one in the whole class that used a pencil -- even the Muggle-borns like Lily used quills. The quills felt weird in my hand, but I knew I was going to run out of wood (or eraser) pretty soon, and then I'd have to suffer through unerasable ink.

"Yeah, where is he?" Emilia said, turning around to face us. She was sitting next to Lily right in front of us.

"Dunno," I said. I glanced over my shoulder at Potter and Black who were hitting on Faith Campbell. Of course they're flirting with the one Ravenclaw I don't like, I thought to myself. Pettigrew was watching the two flirts, devouring all of it. It was actually a little weird if I was being honest, but he soaked it all up and I briefly wondered if he was taking mental notes.

"I've been really excited for this class," Lily told us as she rearranged her books for the third time. Her papers sat in a neat pile ready for notes, and she had a quill and full bottle of ink placed perfectly. Her book was open to the first page and I saw her name in the corner, written in dark blue ink. I felt a little jealous when I saw her flawless penmanship.

I raised an eyebrow. "Is there any class you haven't been excited for?" I asked as I tried to make my desk look as proper as hers. I failed.

Lily blushed but smiled. Emilia laughed and playfully bumped Lily.

The bell rang and the Marauders didn't leave Faith alone even though knew McGonagall was a no-nonsense type of person. I looked around for our professor, but, just like with Vega, I couldn't see her anywhere. But I severely doubted she was also a Metamorphmagus as well. But who knows?

Potter and Black were complimenting Faith on her 'beautiful eyes and captivating smile' when I heard the sharp voice of Professor McGonagall. "The bell rang, did it not?"

My head whirled toward the front so fast I was sure I tore something in my neck. Standing in front of us was none other than Professor Minerva McGonagall clad in forest-green robes and a pointy hat. Her glasses sat on the bridge of her nose as she glared down at the Marauders.

"Wha -- where'd she come from?" I gasped out, floored. Had she Apparated? She'd just appeared out of nowhere. No matter how long I lived in the wizarding world, I would never stop being awed by the things witches and wizards could do.

"She's an Animagus!" Rowan hissed excitedly as McGonagall told the boys to find their seats before they found detention.

"A whatimagus?" I whispered back, keeping one eye on our teleporting professor.