The Outlet

"I can't escape the pain
Inside
'Cause love takes time
I don't want to be here
I don't wanna be here alone"
- "Love Takes Time" by Mariah Carey

~~~~

Michael 

When I opened my eyes, I was immediately met with the breathtaking view of the sea of conifer trees outside the window. Partially blocking my view of the coniferous forest was our extensive balcony, which looked out to it. After shifting my gaze to the sky, I noticed that the moon was still high in the sky. Turning my head, I glanced at the clock, which was sitting on the nightstand. It was one in the morning.

Y/N and I were spending a few weeks in Lake Tahoe. As two busy-bodies that spent most of our time in Los Angeles, we both craved a peaceful vacation. More than anything, I wanted to get away from Los Angeles. Though the city is often glorified as one of the top spots in the world, I found it to be quiet overwhelming. Everywhere you look, everywhere you turn, it's nothing but show business. With that, every person you meet wants something from you. Everything is artificial.

Y/N quickly noticed this when she began spending more time with me, especially at work. All of the bright lights, eager greetings, and big crowds proved to be overwhelming for her. As a result, I began keeping her away from the spotlight. She didn't want to be part of the things she didn't have to be part of, and I couldn't blame her. And, in addition to that, I'm protective of Y/N. The media hounded me enough. I didn't want her to suffer the same torment that I did. Being viewed as a weirdo and a freak by the public was not an easy thing for me to carry. I didn't want her heart to be weighed down by anything.

Turning around, I glanced back at Y/N. She was facing away from me, sleeping peacefully. However, I quickly noticed something that sparked concern within me. Y/N was a quiet sleeper, but she was never too quiet, like she was now. Whenever she fell into a deep sleep, a small snore would always synch with her breathing. In that moment, since she wasn't snoring, she was either awake, or something was wrong.

Trying my best to keep myself calm, I moved closer to her. "Y/N," I whispered, leaning over her body, "You up?"

To my relief, when I leaned over enough to get a view of her face, I was met with her beautiful eyes. A small smile spread across her face. "Yeah, I'm up."

I chuckled. "I didn't hear you snoring. I got worried for a moment," I admitted, making her eyebrows furrow.

"Snore? I don't snore," she replied softly, turning to face me before narrowing her eyes, "You do, though."

"I've been told," I replied, "and I'm telling you, as someone that sleeps next to you every night, that you snore."

She rolled her eyes playfully before sitting up. "Whatever."

As my eyes followed her movements, I could immediately sense that something wasn't right. In most cases, when Y/N woke up in the middle of the night, it was to goof off or have a simple midnight conversation. However, by her body language—slumped shoulders and lack of eye contact—that something was weighing on her. Scooting closer to her, I reached out and gently pulled a clump of her hair away from her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked, not even bothering to question if she was alright. It was obvious that she wasn't.

She shook her head. "It's nothing, Michael. Just silly stuff," she replied, turning to look at me, "Nothing for you to worry about."