chapter 5. enough.

Start from the beginning

"But according to the rumors, you'd risk everything out on the battlefield, but you're too scared to do this?"

"I risk everything when it matters. Not during pointless arguments like this. Now put your lightsaber away and do as Master Drallig says."

"You're not the boss of me! You have no room to talk. You're not so good at following orders yourself."

"It's worked out for the best, hasn't it?"

"Hardly." He takes a step forward. "I can see right through you. You're not good enough and you know it."

I close my book, starting to really lose my calm. "I don't think I heard you right, did you just say—?"

"I said, you're not good enough. And you never will be."

"Stop it."

"What, did that make you mad? You're not good enough."

"I said stop!"

I jump up and ignite my lightsaber, clashing it with his. I easily overpower him as all he can do is parry my blows. I twirl my golden saber with skill and grace while he tries to defend himself.

I quickly realize that defense is his weakness and that my offense is tiring him. I Force kick him to the ground as I give my lightsaber one last spin and turn it off, hooking the hilt back on my belt. I then hear someone clear their throat. I turn to see Master Drallig in the doorway.

"While that was most impressive, Padawan Arlo, you know the rules. No dueling with no administrator present. Come with me."

"But Master—!"

"Do as I say, Padawan." I let out a helpless sigh Master Drallig grabs my arm and drags me out of the room. I look back at Cadan, sitting up off the ground with a smirk on his face. I glare back at him.

"It wasn't my fault, I swear—"

"Silence."

"But—!"

"Silence."

"Can you at least let me go?"

"No, I cannot."

"Come on, Master, I'm not gonna run away! I don't need your help walking. Can't you see I've got legs, and they're working just fine, too—"

"Master Kenobi!" Master Drallig calls out. Obi-Wan, who had just walked out of the younglings' room, turns to us.

"Oh, Arlo," he sighs as he pinches the bridge of his nose, shaking his head. "I left you for ten minutes."

"It wasn't my fault!" I argue. Master Drallig lets go of me. I grab my arm where he was gripping rather tightly and step away from him, standing next my master instead.

"She engaged in lightsaber combat with another student with no administrator present."

"You forgot to mention that I won," I mutter. Obi-Wan gives me a reprimanding look.

"As her Master, it's up to you to decide her punishment, which I recommend you do. This kind of behavior is unacceptable."

"I'm serious, Masters! I didn't start it!" I argue as I look up at Obi-Wan, almost pleadingly, to defend me. He looks back at me, then turns to Master Drallig.

"I know my Padawan isn't the best at rule-following, Master Drallig, but I believe she's telling us the truth," Obi-Wan states while stroking his beard.

"All do respect, Master Kenobi, but you can't just defend her because she's your padawan—"

"Oh, no, that's not it at all and Arlo knows it. If she was lying, she would've started fiddling with something, which she's not," Obi-Wan tells him. Master Drallig raises an eyebrow at him. "...She does that when she's nervous."

"Perhaps we could ask the other students what they saw," Master Drallig suggests.

"You and I both know very well that no one in there will defend me, Master Drallig," I state.

"Because you're guilty?"

"Because everyone in there has it out for me. That's why it started in the first place."

"...Very well. Still, I will see what I can figure out. Innocent until proven guilty, I suppose."

"Do what you must, but I do ask that you take what my Padawan says into consideration. I know her well, and I don't believe she's guilty, nor would she do something of the sort without reason. Though, she still should not have broken the rules. But while you figure that out, Arlo will be with me, so you don't have to worry about her for a bit."

"Very well, Master Kenobi." With that, Master Drallig turns and walks away.

Obi-Wan turns to face me with his arms crossed. "Arlo. You know better."

"I didn't want to fight him, really."

"He said something, didn't he?" he guesses.

I nod.

Obi-Wan walks over and sits on the ledge of a window and pats the space next to him. "Tell me what happened, truthfully."

I sit next to him and begin my story. "Master Drallig told us to sit and read over lightsaber tactics while he went and checked on something, so I did that. So the student, Cadan, he came up to me. Threw my book. Started to challenge me. Had his lightsaber ignited, ready to attack. But I stayed calm like you taught me to."

"Not for long, clearly," Obi-Wan jokes as he begins to stroke his beard again.

"Very funny, Master," I reply sarcastically.

He chuckles. "Continue on, Sparky."

"He said I was weak for not fighting him, so I said there's strength in restraint. Like you said. But then he... he said..."

"Out with it, Arlo."

"I'm not good enough."

"And that set you off, didn't it?"

"It did."

"You can't let such things anger you. Because you know that's not true. You're one of the best padawans a master could ask for. You're more than enough to me, my young apprentice, and that's what truly counts. Now—oh!"

I cut him off with a hug. He hesitates, but reciprocates it, giving my back a soft pat.

"You mean it?" I whisper.

"Why wouldn't I? Now let's go, my Padawan, we have to get to Naboo immediately. There's an emergency regarding the Blue Shadow virus."

"...Wait, isn't that—?"

"Extinct? It was. But the Seperatists have recreated it in a secret lab on Naboo, and we must stop them. It's urgent, and quite dangerous, honestly."

I stand up. "Then what are we waiting for?"