The Wrong Intention

Start from the beginning

"I was thinking of extending my stay a bit longer, aid her if need be, I could help her look after her kids while she tends to her husband, the hospital he got admitted is close".

He remained silent, deliberating on her words. She never intended to come back anytime soon, she would look for a reason to stay and now she had found a cover. Not that he was particularly looking forward or enthralled to have her back, but presuming the reason for her need to escape clogged at his throat, she was trying to stay away from her!.

"Where is Amal?" he evaded the topic by bringing up their three-year-old daughter, "It'sbeen a while since I heard her voice, put her through," He demanded

"She is at the Simon's. It is Rick's birthday, Agnes came to pick her up for the party, she will bring her back later". The Simon's were their neighbors in Westminster, London. Rick is their only child who is about Amal's age.

"Call me when she gets back, I need to go, is there anything else?"

"you haven't said anything regarding my stay".

"Do what suits you Zainab, you always have anyway" he stated and she let out a silent sigh before asking,

"How is she?"

He clenched his eyes shut in annoyance, wishing she hadn't asked about her.

"Don't bother yourself with her" He answered implacably.

"Why would you say that? she is also my daughter!". She stated, and if Tareeq hadn't known better, he would have believed the feign irritation he depicted in her tone.

"Really?, I am glad you consider her to be" he retorted in an evident sarcasm.

"Of course I consider her mine, she is not only my stepdaughter, but she is also my niece, we share some blood".

"Yet you prefer to stay and look after some kids than be with her when she is the one that needs you. So much for sharing blood". He conceded, his animosity growing with every statement.

"Oh, come on Tareeq you know that's different,"She said in a voice that matched his hostility.

"Really?, I can't wait to hear you elaborate,"He ironically said before he hung up. He didn't think he would be able to listen to her ridiculous blabs without losing it.

He got married to Zainab two years after Asiya's death and it's been 5 years now. But over these years, their relationship had only deteriorated. Sometimes, he felt as though they were complete strangers and their marriage was only in name.

He was cut from his thoughts when his Personal Assistant, Nasir came in.

"Sir, Mr. Ibrahim Maska is here, should I let him in?" He asked.

"When did you ever need permission to let Ibrahim in? He snapped, venting his anger out on the poor guy. Nasir shuddered from his master's outburst and quickly apologized.

"I am sorry sir, you made it clear that you didn't want to be disturbed that was why I thought I should check in with you first".

"Let him in" he mumbled.

Nasir came back a few minutes later and Tareeq looked over his shoulders expectantly.

"Where is he?" He inquired, and Nasir hesitated before he answered.

"He had left before I could get back to him," then he stood there as though waiting to be reprimanded. Without a word, Tareeq raised his hand dismissively and Nasir instantly fled.

It was so typical of Ibrahim to leave like that. Tareeq thought, He doesn't withstand to be kept waiting and had always argued his reason for not coming to his house to be because of the formalities he had to go through before getting to see him whenever Tareeq complains that he no longer comes to check on him, and so, Tareeq made it clear to all his surveillance that he should be granted access every time he comes by without going through any regulations.