Keeping A Firm Faith

Ya Allah,
I end this year with a simple prayer: please heal the broken people. Make well the sick. Restore happiness to those in despair. Bring love to the lonely, food to the hungry and peace to our world.

___________________________________

Ever since he grew into early childhood, Tareeq had a always tried to Stay away from trouble and whenever he got caught into one, he didn't cringe, shudder, or fidgeted his fingers like other kids, his features remained collected and unshaken so it was always hard to tell whether he was guilty or not but his mother will look at his palms and would know immediately, in situations where he got in trouble, The tremor was extracted from his every fiber, nerve, and muscle and deflected it into perspiratory fluid exerting on his palms and the moment they announced Salma his wife, he felt his palm becoming cold and sweaty and he clenched them shut.

His and Salma's wedding was a painfully unique one that was unprecedented, unplanned, and unexpected. instead of emerging from a mosque where most Nikahs take place with a joyous or at least pleased expressions, the few numbers of people who served as witnesses emerged gloomily from Alhaji Ibrahim's living room, the father of the bride came out frowning and was followed by an office suit cladded groom who carried an impassive and detached expression.

"I hope that you know what you are doing", Alhaji Ibrahim turned to Tareeq and said sardonically.

"Isn't it a bit too late to warn me out of it?" Tareeq dryly remarked and Alhaji Ibrahim gave him one of his looks that would make anyone crawl in his skin but not Tareeq. His smoldered eyes stared back at him without as much as batting a lash, it would take more than a cold look to make him flinch, and a great deal more than a shallow-minded person who thought that life had no right to bruise his ego and prestige and was not capable of forgiving his own kid because she came in form of 'life' to get him intimidated and if Alhaji Ibrahim was not so immersed in his pride, he would have noticed the slight disdainful look that Tareeq was giving him, or maybe he did because he turned around and stormed into the house.

"Are you okay sir?", Lukman asked concerningly when Tareeq slid into the car next to him. He gave a long sigh which was followed by some seconds of silence before turning to Lukman with a wry smile,

"I can't be any better Lukman, I just got married", he cooly replied with a touch of sarcasm which was directed at himself, clenching and releasing his palms repeatedly which were still sweaty and damning the sweat. Lukman shook his head disturbingly.

Ibrahim's call came through for the umpteenth time and he finally decided to pick up, tapping the handsfree button.

"Maska" He called and he could tell that Ibrahim sneered before responding,

"I am on my way to your house" He curtly informed, evidently annoyed by Tareeq's not picking his calls.

"I am not at home"

"Where are you?"

"Bauchi" Tareeq disclosed, absently rubbing the back of his neck.

"What?.... What are you doing there?" Ibrahim anxiously asked.

"I came to check on the girl's family" He simply stated and Ibrahim snorted,

"How very noble of you Malam Tafeeda, I can imagine they threw a welcoming party", Ibrahim sarcastically remarked and Tareeq smirked before responding,

"No Maska they didn't, but I think you are going to have to throw one to welcome the bride, I got married to the girl".

"Whaaatttt?" he shouted and Tareeq was glad the phone was on speaker and not next to his ear, he could have done some serious damage to his eardrum, he heard what could be a screeching sound of wheels which was followed by a loud honk.