04.| ᴍᴏᴍʙɪᴇ ᴅᴇᴀʀᴇꜱᴛ

Start from the beginning

Lucas snorted but hides it when the two Gemini witches turn around and shoot him a look. Not wanting to be set on fire, he chooses to stay silent.

"What do you want?" Josie says impatiently, turning to face Penelope.

"Oh, just to cheer you two up. You know, 'cause your mom's not coming." Penelope shrugs.

Josie and Lizzie immediately freeze in shock with horrified expressions on their faces, just as Penelope intended.

"What?" The twins said in unison.

Penelope continues to pretend as though she had no idea the girls didn't know about Caroline's canceled flight.

"Oh, I heard them cancel her pickup at the office. I thought you knew. Oops!"

Lucas mentally facepalmed before using his telekinesis to place the two cupcakes on the desk and slam the door shut.

"I um—I should go."

With that, he closed the door behind him and walked himself towards the grand hall where he got into a conversation with Penelope.

Students are milling around the grand hall, where they're organizing tables full of birthday cupcakes and boxes of other desserts. Penelope and Lucas just sat down on a stack of pink boxes. MG approaches them from behind and immediately begins to chastize Penelope for her earlier interaction with the twins.

"You're lucky I respect women and that I shun all forms of toxic masculinity, or else you and I would be throwing down right now..." MG's voice trails off for a moment, he notices the look Lucas threw him which made him shudder in place. He lowers his voice to finish his sentence with a begrudging expression. "Even if you can both kick my ass."

Lucas crosses his arms over his chest. "Yeah. That's what I thought."

Penelope smiles and pretends like she doesn't know what he's talking about. "Dude, I am here to help."

MG scoffs. "By telling Lizzie and Josie that their mom isn't coming?"

Penelope rolls her eyes in response.

"Oh, that was just for Lizzie--" Penelope gives MG a knowing look before she continues. " --Who is taking Rafael as her date instead of you. So, why are you doing all this to try and make her party perfect?"

MG smirks and shrugs sheepishly. " 'Cause a man's got to shoot his shot."

Lucas who snuck a cupcake out of the box instantly choked on it as he heard those words escape MG's mouth. "Y-you like Lizzie?" he says in shock.

"Dude has been crushing on her forever." Penelope groaned

Lucas chuckled. "And you still haven't gotten her?"

MG shook his head.

"Well, good thing I'm here. I'll make you a deal-- I will keep wolf boy away from the party long enough for you to shoot your one, final, inevitably-failed shot." Lucas explains. "And, when it's over, and the Queen of Mean has broken your heart all over again, for everyone sakes, promise me that you will let Lizzie go."