.25

somehow, they got work done way quicker than expected.

after an extremely awkward breakfast (which meant jeongin's mom not-so-sneakily glancing at the two of them as though she knew the answer to some undecipherable puzzle as she picked the fork at the sausage and eggs), jeongin decided to lock themselves in his room until they finished the project.

it was easy enough. hyunjin was oddly quiet and seeming to avoid his face at all times. or maybe it was just jeongin's mind playing tricks on him.

the project was finally finished. it wasn't perfect: the colors were a bit messed up, and jeongin was the only one who seemed to think so, so he just let it be (he was suspicious hyunjin was colorblind).

hyunjin suddenly made motion to hurry up as soon as they were finished, babbling something about running errands but jeongin had other plans.

he threw hyunjin on his bed.

"no way! we have to go through our lines! the presentation is so close!"

hyunjin blinked at him, seeming a bit dazed for a moment. hyunjin was getting spaced out quite often these days, he realized. maybe it was a pisces thing.

the words seemed to finally sink in on him: "what? now? but--"

"yes, now! so i can make sure you won't stutter on stage and embarrass me."

hyunjin lifted an eyebrow, "oh? so you don't have any worries about you stuttering, i assume?"

and there it was the good ol' hyunjin.

jeongin's face flared up in flames. real anger. how dare he question jeongin's acting abilities?

"i have no doubts in myself," jeongin stated, "can you say the same?"

jeongin didn't get the reaction he expected. instead of recoil into himself at jeongin's explosive confidence, hyunjin just grinned at him and reached for the script in his backpack.

maybe... jeongin was wrong about him. since the start, hyunjin seemed to take the play and his role in a laid-back way, as if making fun of jeongin. but wow, the way he pulled out the papers with such determination, licking a finger as he flipped to the pages... maybe he took it seriously. just a bit.

"act one, scene three, our meet cute," hyunjin winked.

taken aback, jeongin took a second to remind him to not fall for hyunjin's annoying antics. he just wants to irritate you, jeongin told himself. he wouldn't be flustered anymore. yang jeongin was a changed man. he had gone to a party with alcohol once, he was practically a grown-up now.

clearing his throat, jeongin started the dialogue. his line was the first.

"i need coffee. right now. any kind. mocha, latte, black! just the beans is fine, too!" he said, voice high-pitched and whiny. his character was a sleep deprived university student on her way to make a very important test.

"sorry ma'am, we haven't opened yet. if you come again in ten minutes maybe--" hyunjin didn't even look at the script. he spoke it to his face, and instantly jeongin was pulled deeper into the story. they were in a coffee shop, and even though the sign spelled closed, jeongin still stormed inside, demanding caffeine from a clueless staff mopping the floor.

he scoffed, how could a coffee shop not have coffee? "no, you are not sorry... yet! you'll be sorry in a minute if you don't get me coffee right now!"

hyunjin looked at him surprised, and jeongin had a delicious minute thinking it was directed to his acting, but then he realized it was hyunjin's character, not himself.

hyunjin's face morphed into a stern expression, "i'm sure you can buy some instant coffee on any convenience store nearby, ma'am. it's 7:50. we only open at 8:00."

jeongin pretended to choke on his own spit, "excuse me? is that how you treat your customers? such disrespect! do you know who my father is?"

hyunjin looked him up and down, "a disappointed man, if he looked at you right now."

jeongin stared at him. now was the part where he hesitated: there was no dialogue anymore, and he fully intended to just rehearse the lines, but now that they were so deep into character, jeongin's body acted on his own.

he wasn't jeongin anymore when he started to scream furiously, throwing invisible chairs out of the way and pretending to fall on a non-existent wet spot from hyunjin's non-existent mop.

and maybe jeongin really underestimated his acting, because it felt incredibly real how hyunjin instantly reached for him before jeongin hit the floor, face flawlessly imitating the character's concern about the crazy entitled girl falling and cracking her head. it felt all too real.

it didn't feel like acting when hyunjin leaned in and pressed his lips on jeongin's. especially when neither of them pulled back. especially when jeongin felt a tongue try to open its way into his mouth.

that wasn't in the script!

jeongin pulled away, face flushed and panting, falling out of hyunjin's arms and into the floor. all he could hear was his heart pounding loudly on his ears and the door creaking shut.