.14

chan's texts burned on the back of his mind like a brand new tattoo.

bang chan hyung
r u wearing this to the party tonight?

jeongin, naturally, did not reply. how could he?? he was basically going through the ultimate humiliating scenario. it was just like mistakingly sending nudes to your parents!

bang chan hyung
i rlly hope you will
u look really sexy

that broke him.

suddenly hyunjin's annoying shenanigans were heaven in comparison to this. at least he didn't make any sexual remarks. but also, jeongin didn't send him those pictures! what the hell!

sighing, jeongin decided to face the consequences of his own dumb brain.

me
i'm so sorry hyungie
i didn't mean to send it to you
could u maybe... forget it happened 🙈

bang chan hyung
...
it's fine!
however you want!

jeongin just swallowed dry and forced himself to believe those were not such passive aggressive replies.

the other thing was that he totally forgot about the campfire party. who could blame him? his life was literally chaos, a disaster! how was he even alive? he didn't even know what he was actually going to wear!

"whoa, i can't believe you sent him nudes!" felix said out of breath after spending fifteen minutes laughing at jeongin's disgrace instead of helping him find something to dress.

"it was not. a. nude!" jeongin made a point throwing pieces of clothes on his friend's face with each word, felix still laughing while managing to dodge each of them.

"it might as well been!" felix retorted, "i mean, you just showed me and it's so tight i could see your--"

jeongin threw a shirt at him.

then sat at the end of the bed and put his face on his hands. he really didn't want to go to that party. nothing against them, he just preferred being at home watching old tv shows and sharing a bowl of popcorn with felix while they lipsynced the character's lines. and speaking about lines... his were right there, on the nightstand, and he did not take a single glance at them yet. which was funny, because two-weeks-ago-jeongin would certainly whoop his ass right now for that.

but things change fast.

"these are really pretty!" he heard felix exclaim and lifted his head from his hands, catching sight of the pair of ripped jeans and oversized blue-and-white sweater. "perfect amount of hot and cute! put them on."

and jeongin did. he didn't want to think much of it. parties were no big deal. he would have to go to a ton of them when he'd become a hollywood star. a campfire party was also no big deal, probably just like any of the kids birthday parties he'd been countless of times.

as soon as he stepped foot on it, though, jeongin knew he was terribly wrong.

alcohol. every. where.

jeongin didn't want to be the one kid to go all "mom come pick me up they're drinking beer" type of crybaby, but he also definitely didn't want to get drunk and make something stupid. he already did stupid thing sober, by himself. daily.

thank god felix was by his side the whole time, saving him from the tequila shots and the jelly cups he was excited to try but felix thankfully slapped it off his hand because, apparently, it was also alcohol? humanity was lost.

he found chan, but not willingly. felix just convinced him it was useless and childish to avoid him for something so dumb, and dragged him to the tree chan was surrounded by people and looking so cool while reclining against it, only making jeongin feel even worse.

as chan took sight of him, jeongin tried to focus his thoughts into the tree or anything that wasn't chan's gaze running through his body. should he have come with that dress? he liked chan, right? for a long, long time, right? why didn't he--

"oh, my god!" jeongin jumped at someone screaming right on his ear, until he noticed it was felix. he was looking at the lake, specifically at the figure taking off their clothes and looking like-- "seo changbin is going to jump on the lake!" and then took a run for it, and so did other bunch of people who heard him and took it as an invitation to undress and jump along on the lake.

were people actually just animals? or was it the alcohol?

but felix was sober...

"hey," another voice startled him, coming from behind him, just like that time at detention. it was chan. he looked handsome as always, but now he had a red cup on hand, wore a see-through button-up shirt that had the very same results as being shirtless, a smirk on his lips, and an unbearable drunken breath.

"you arrived just on time to see me lighting it up," he meant the campfire. or so he hoped. "but it seems like everyone is distracted."

there were shrieks and laughter coming from the lake.

"so... would you help me light up the torch?"

"...yeah!" jeongin answered, not having any idea of what he should do, but he followed chan anyways.

there was a cabin in the middle of the woods, chan explained as they walked among trees and jeongin got more and more spooked. chan was unmistakably drunk and he didn't know if there were any wild animals around.

"we don't usually go for a swim before the campfire, you know, damn changbin." chan said as he opened the squeaky door from the cabin which they thankfully got to without being bitten by a bear or raccoon. "he was supposed to help me. you know, it's a two-man job, and booze makes it all harder." he was rambling, scrambling for matches, jeongin supposed.

but then chan just fished out what seemed to be a particularly big broom and dragged jeongin back to the woods.

jeongin watched with horror as chan sat on a fallen tree log, gathered two rocks and went all caveman and tried to make fire.

"could you hold this for me, darling? you see, it rained today and the ground is all wet." he passed jeongin the broom, which jeongin realized was not exactly a broom but a wooden torch with hay sticking out of one tip, certainly to burn better, but still he couldn't ignore what chan just called him. darling? oh, my god, even if it was just a friendly thing chan did to everyone still was too much for his heart. nobody ever called him that other than his mom and gross fat aunties... and there goes the magic. darling was suddenly not that special anymore.

somehow chan, even drunk out of his mind, eventually managed to produce fire, and aiming at the torch on jeongin's hand, lit it up. it took all of jeongin's willpower to not flinch away and let it fall, killing the fire.

he quickly passed it to chan, who looked like a hot tribe leader with that thing on his hands. his gaze seemed to grow deeper as they stood there, in the middle of the woods, nobody around... just chan and him. the two of them. chan and jeongin. drunk chan and sober jeongin. cool.

he'd shut his eyes somewhere between the last minutes, afraid of chan's intense stare, but opened them up with a start at how hot it got.

it turned out that chan was now right in front of him and, as a result, the torch was burning a little too closely for his liking.

but, to his fear, both chan and the torch came closer, and closer, chan's hand snaking its way to his waist under the sweater, his mouth attaching to his jaw and oh, god, the torch inclined right towards his face and--

then, the next second, there was no torch. no unbearable heat. no chan, either.

but there was an... angry? yes a definitely angry hyunjin shoving chan to the closest tree and slapping the torch to the ground, killing the fire as soon as it touched the moist ground.