Chapter thirty-one

*♡ Ellie ♡*

It's already close to ten when I exit the cab and set foot on Sunset Strip. I gape around, mouth wide open. The curb is crowded with excited people who are ready to dive into the nightlife. Dazzling lights and flashing billboards decorate the rooftops. There are lots of famous venues here and from what I've read, lots of legendary bands performed there. It only makes sense Tex and the guys are having a show here tonight. As far as I'm concerned, they're legends already.

I'm a teensy bit nervous, though. Tex doesn't know I'm here. He wants to see me, but we also agreed to take things slow. Will he appreciate a surprise visit? I never meant to be here in the first place. Penelope—Felicity's friend—got married today at her parents' beach house near Santa Monica. Once my photography work was done, I was supposed to head straight to the airport, but I couldn't resist seeing him.

I shift the weight of my camera bag to my other shoulder and start walking. Where am I going exactly? Was it the Whiskey one or the Viper one? I quickly check the band's website on my phone and then make my way toward The Viper Room. Unfortunately, the throng of people outside the black building must mean the show is sold out.

Crab cakes.

Of course it's sold out. Who wouldn't want to see them rock the stage? Awkwardly, I stare at the entrance. Now what? Call him? No, the show is already in play.

A ruse, perhaps. Yes! I could pretend to be a photographer from some cool music magazine. I don't know any, though. I'll have to do a bit of research before I approach the doorman.

Just when I reach for my phone, a voice calls for me. "Ellie? Is that you?"

My head snaps up and a squeal escapes. "Santi? What are you doing here? I thought you were in Mexico."

We exchange a warm hug before he holds me at arm's length and grins, looking as handsome as I remember him to be. "That was months ago. I work here now. Started bartending a few weeks back. I was just having a smoke break."

Right. Nearly a year has passed since I last saw him. Strange how it doesn't feel that way at all. "That's great. It's so good to see you."

"Yeah, you too. What are you doing here?" Before I can answer, he laughs and adds, "Never mind. That was a dumb question. You're here to see Tex."

My lips produce a sad smile. "I am, but it seems the show is sold out. They're not letting anyone in at the moment. I was going to try to scheme my way in. Not sure that would've worked, though."

He rolls his eyes and wraps his arm around my shoulder. "Don't be weird. I'll get you in."

I'm guided inside through a back door. Santiago tells me all about his time with his family and I listen, ignoring the stripper pole we pass. I've missed his friendship. We're still backstage, but a familiar song and an even more familiar voice resonates through the walls. It causes the butterflies in my belly to dance wildly.

Santiago stops us near the stage entrance. "Do you want to watch the show or wait here? It's almost over anyway."

Perhaps it's best not to jeopardize my equipment by getting in the middle of the rowdy audience. "I'll wait here."

He nods. "They'll be here shortly. I have to get back to the bar. Can't risk a riot over lack of booze."

I chuckle. "That would be a disaster."

My friend gives me a wink and then leaves me on my own. I'm feeling a little self-conscious. The backstage-crowd looks very rock & roll—black clothes, crazy hair and studded leather—whereas I'm dressed in a nude-colored and sequin-covered dress. I'm glimmering like a disco ball. It was the perfect attire to wear to a wedding but here, I look out of place.