Chapter eleven

*♡  Ellie ♡*

The last photography class is about to begin. Unsurprisingly, Jonathan is late. We've been spending a lot of time together. Sometimes for assignments and other times just to hang out. Last week, we binge-watched the entire first season of Will & Grace.

I flip through my notes. The accelerated course only lasted six weeks, but I've learned a lot. My nighttime self-studies probably weighed in on that. What else was I going to do during those waking hours?

Sleep? I wish.

Rest is not for the wicked.

"Sorry I'm late." Jonathan quickly takes the seat next to me. "I had a hair-crisis."

I chuckle. "You're such a cliché."

He leans back in his chair, mischief in his eyes. "Would you rather have me tell you the truth? Because I can go into detail about my bowel movement."

My nose almost scrunches into my face. "That's gross."

We both laugh and then stop when the scrape of throat commands us to be silent. "Good evening, class." Matt smiles at his students, a little evilly. "Who wants to go first?"

Crab sticks.

The presentation we all have to do slipped my mind. I'm prepared, of course, but I'm not too keen on showcasing the photos I took. They're all very personal to me.

My funny  friend raises his hand. "I'll go, I'd like to get it over with."

Matt gestures him to come forward. Without a hint of nerves, Jonathan shoves the USB in the laptop that's connected to the overhead projector. The first photo shows two pretty blonds giggling at the camera. He took this picture in the park when we met for coffee that first time.

Matt addresses the other students. "Any thoughts?"

After a silent minute, Madison—who bears a striking resemblance to Velma from Scooby-Doo—tips her head and says, "The girl on the left is in an odd position. It makes her neck look too long."

Even though she's right, I don't appreciate the negative review. "Maybe so, but the glee on her face is very real. Capturing emotion was the assignment, after all."

Jonathan gives me a wink of gratitude. The following pictures aren't that good either and the comments are harsh, but he seems unaffected. Amused, even.

Jonathan turns to our teacher. "So, what do you think? Am I the new Man Ray?"

Matt chews his lip, searching for the right words. "I wouldn't try to make a career out of it, if I were you."

Ouch.

Tough words. I hope they won't get him down. Apparently, the exact opposite is happening, because he rolls back his head and lets out shoulders-shaking laugh.

When he sits down again, I regard him carefully and ask, "Are you sure you're okay? That was pretty brutal."

A last snicker blows from his nose. "Don't worry, I knew it was crap. To be honest, I knew photography wasn't for me after that first class. I much rather observe art than create it."

I already noticed he wasn't as into it as me, but his answer surprises me. "Why didn't you quit?"

He shrugs. "I was bored and you seemed like fun. Besides, I had already paid for it."

Even though this course was just a way for him to occupy his spare time, I'm immensely grateful he stayed. If he hadn't, I may not have been doing mildly okay right now. I would've been a much bigger mess.