Chapter 59

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. I will indicate where it starts with ------------------------ and indicate where it ends with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ so if you want to skip this section you can.

Mike Hunt

When I stepped through the apartment door, the delicious smell of marinara sauce hit my nose. My heart warmed to see Adam standing in front of the stove staring down into whatever he was making. His head turned to me and he smiled.

"Hope you're hungry," he said. "I made spaghetti."

Something about this domestic scene hit me to my very core. I never expected to see something like this in my apartment. I rushed to the kitchen, cupped his cheeks in the palm of my hands and kissed him fiercely. One of his arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me in closer to him while his other hand continued to stir the marinara sauce.

"Welcome home," he said with a smile when I pulled away from the kiss.

I couldn't stop the smile that came to my own lips. 'Welcome home' was such a simple phrase but one I had never heard before and never had expected to hear. He meant so much more to me than a friend, although he was that too. He had become my safety, my warmth, the protector of my heart and he didn't even know it.

I looked at the pots on the stove and raised an eyebrow. Marinara sauce with meatballs in one pan and spaghetti noodles in the other. "I didn't know I had stuff to make spaghetti," I said. I was certain I didn't.

He finally removed his hand from my waist as he turned off the stove.

"You didn't," he said. He picked up the pot of spaghetti by the handles and took it to the sink. A strainer waited as he poured the water and the spaghetti in it. "I walked to the store today."

"You're not supposed to over exert yourself," I said as I came up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. I put my head on his shoulder.

"I didn't," he said calmly. "And I won't. Don't worry about that."

He had been good at only going for walks and not doing anything more strenuous even though I knew that was difficult. I had trusted him enough with my life's story and with my problems before we were ever together and now that he was here, I came to trust him even more.

"Sit down and let's eat," he said.

I pulled my arms away from him and went to sit at my little table. He already had plates and silverware set. He put spaghetti noodles on both of our plates and then the sauce and meatballs.

"I could get used to this," I said. I wrapped the noodles around my fork and took a bite. It was delicious.

He gave a little half smile as he watched me. "Don't get too excited," he said. "I didn't do anything special. Everything here is store bought, including the meatballs that I bought from the frozen section."

"It's still delicious," I said in between bites.

His smile widened and he finally took a bite of his own. He shrugged. "It's nothing compared to Jessica's homemade spaghetti, but it'll do."

As we ate, I told him about my day because he asked. It was nice to have someone to talk to. Someone who wasn't going to judge me. Someone who understood.

When the spaghetti was gone, he took our plates away, but as I was standing up, he waved for me to sit back down so I did. He retrieved two spoons from the drawer. He went to the freezer and took out two small containers of ice cream. He handed me the chocolate and peanut butter ice cream and opened the cookie dough ice cream for himself.