Chapter 72

Mike Hunt

I was working desk duty so it made it easier to look up Tanner's and Jessica's information. Both of their phone numbers were on file. I called Tanner's phone number first. There wasn't an answer. I left a message that I was Officer Hunt calling on a request for a wellness check. Then I called Jessica and left a message for her as well.

Police officers and detectives came to my desk at certain times to talk about the previous night's events. It wasn't everyday that a big time person like Zach was murdered in our town.

Tony came up to my desk with a few other detectives, but when they started to leave to go back to work, I said, "Tony." He turned back to my desk. I waited until the others were out of earshot before I said, "Do you have time today to grab some lunch? There are some things you should know."

"Sure," he said. "Send me a text letting me know a time."

I nodded and he left. It wasn't too long after that I got a call from the front desk. "There's a Jessica on the phone," he said, "she said you had called and left a message for her and she wanted to confirm you actually worked here and are a police officer before she spoke with you. Do you want to take the call?"

"Yes," I said. "Transfer her to me."

"This is Officer Hunt," I said when the call was transferred.

"I'm returning your call," Jessica said, "can I know what this is about?"

"A concerned citizen contacted me because they heard you were killed and they wanted us to check on it."

"I'm not dead," she said. Except I had no proof this was actually Jessica.

""Would you mind coming into the station or meeting with me to confirm you are Jessica?"

"Yes, I mind," she said. "I'm not coming back to town. You could be a dirty cop for all I know and this is a trick to get me to come back."

"Have you checked the local news today?" I asked because it was all over the internet that Dennis and Zach were dead.

There was a pause before she said, "No."

"Check the local news and then get back with me," I said.

We hung up. She didn't call me back.

I met Tony at a diner nearby for lunch. I requested a corner table so we could have some privacy. We chatted about the normal everyday stuff. I didn't bring anything up about Eddie until we were almost finished eating. That way, if he didn't like what I had to say or if it became awkward, we wouldn't have to wait and sit through an entire meal together.

"I have a secret I've kept from you for a long time," I said.

His eyebrows crinkled together. "What could you keep from me?"

"I loved you," I said. "And not like a brother. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help it. I knew you could never love me back so I stayed silent. And I don't love you like that anymore. Adam is the best boyfriend I could have and I love him more than I ever thought possible."

I paused to see how he would take my confession. He didn't seem surprised. He didn't say anything for a long time. Then he nodded and said, "I knew. I just pretended I didn't."

I nodded then shook my head. "That's why Eddie started working for Zach."

Tony shook his head with his confusion. "He started working for Zach because you loved me?"

"Because Zach told him if he didn't, that he would tell you that I loved you and Eddie thought that would destroy me. He has been trying to protect me all these years. And then Zach started to threaten harm to me, you and your family. And he threatened Eddie's boyfriend, Isaiah. Do you know of Isaiah?"