Chapter 73

Eduardo Garcia

The new apartment was empty. Isaiah was at his first day at the new university. I told him he could take my car, but he had insisted he take the bus. Perhaps that was for the best anyway. I had some job interviews later today and even though Isaiah's classes were supposed to be out by then, there was a possibility he wouldn't be home in time for my interviews.

Mikey and I had spoken everyday since the incident. He wasn't working on the case with Zach and Dennis obviously since he had been involved with it, but he kept up to date with the reports and so far nothing pointed back to me or Isaiah. I was relieved to learn that Tanner and Jessica were still alive. I really thought Mikey was going to tell me he found their bodies, not tell me they were alive and back in town.

When I had filled out job applications, I was asked for references. I put down Mikey's name and number without asking him, but he seemed fine with it when I did tell him after the fact. The real problem was that they would want a job reference and I couldn't tell them my old boss was dead after he captured me and my boyfriend and my boyfriend shot him. I had no idea who was going to be taking over the Seabring Club and there really wasn't anyone I trusted there. I finally put down Jose's name. It was a risk, but Jose had always treated me fairly. I didn't think he would tell anyone associated with Zach where I was.

Then there was something Mikey said that I couldn't get out of my head. Maybe I could attend college now. It was something I hadn't thought about until he said it. It was something I had given up the idea of long ago. And I couldn't go to school full time and work full time and still have time for Isaiah. But maybe I could go to college part time. I even started looking at classes for next semester. I'd have to apply if I wanted to attend the same university as Isaiah. I might have to go to a community college first and then try to transfer to the university. I liked the idea of attending the same university as Isaiah.

My phone rang. I hesitated as I didn't recognize the number. Finally, I answered. "Hello," I said.

"Hi," my brother's voice came through. My body froze even as a small amount of hope came to my heart. "How are you?" he asked after a pause from both of us.

"Fine," I said. "I moved."

"Mikey told me," he said. "He also told me you were only working with Zach because he threatened us." He paused, but I was too much in shock to answer. And I had kept so many secrets and been silent for so long that it was difficult to immediately break that habit. "Thank you," he finally said.

"Yeah," I said, failing to come up with anything else.

"He also said you have a serious boyfriend and that I would like him if I met him."

"He is great," I said.

"I told my kids about you yesterday," he said. "I showed them some old pictures of us. They want to meet you. Maybe you could come into town some time."

"I don't think I'll ever go back to that city," I said. But I did want to see my brother on good terms and I wanted to meet my niece and nephew. But I would never chance seeing any of Zach's men again. Someone dropped Isaiah off at the storage units. Someone knew he was there the night Zach died even if the police didn't.

"Well," he said, "maybe we could come see you some time."

"I would like that," I said.

"Good," he said. "How do you like your new place? Do you have a job lined up?"

We talked about little things. We talked like we hadn't for almost a decade. Things weren't perfect between us. We were both hesitant just because it had been so long since we had truly talked with each other, but by the end of that phone call I knew we were going to be alright.