Chapter 36

Eduardo Garcia

"This isn't the amount we agreed upon," Zach said. We weren't at the club. We were in the storage unit Zach owned. He had a folding table and folding chair set up for times like these. I stood behind him. I remained silent as his voice turned dangerous. The gaunt man with the stringy hair in front of the table swallowed hard. He glanced to the side at the woman with the equally stringy hair and thin frame. Both of them had dark bags under their eyes. Their cheeks had that look that they had been hollowed out.

"People weren't paying as much as they usually do," the man lied. I reached out in a flash, grabbed the back of the man's head and smashed it against the table. I let go and stepped back behind Zach. The gaunt man stumbled back. Blood dripped from his nose and upper lip. He blinked in a daze and tripped over his own feet landing him on his ass.

The woman gasped. Her thin hands went up to her mouth. She stood there a moment stunned before she went and knelt next to the man on the ground. I don't know why she was surprised. I'd been through this with Cami before.

Zach stood up, rounded the table and crouched in front of them. "If you can't make your quota then the amount to make up for it comes out of your cut." He held out his hand with his palm face up clearly asking for the rest of the money.

"We don't have it," Cami said.

"Then I'm demoting you and you can go back to selling books and candy to highschoolers," he mocked. He stood up straight. He looked at me daring me to challenge him. I didn't, but I also really didn't want to have to deal with Cami and her brother again. I was happy when they got promoted to selling drugs instead of selling the stolen goods. I didn't want to be in charge of them anymore.

"Wait," Cami said. She pulled out crumpled bills from her purse and slowly began to sort it out. Zach grabbed the money from her and quickly counted it out. He kept the amount he originally expected and gave her the rest.

"Get out of here," Zach said dismissively as he rounded the table and went back to his seat.

"We were hoping we could buy some for our personal stash," Cami said.

"I don't sell directly," Zach said without looking at her. "You know that. Go find Levi or Marcos and buy from them. Or Liz and Kiet have started selling again on the side. Just don't disturb them while they are at their day jobs. Wait until they get to the club."

"Right," Cami said. She and her brother left.

"That was the last appointment," Zach informed me. I checked around outside to make sure there was no one else about. There wasn't. Zach locked up and I drove him back to the club. We went in through the back, said hello to Jose and went into his office. I stood behind him doing nothing while he went through paperwork. About a half hour later, Dennis walked in. I couldn't hide my relief, but I stayed where I was as Zach hadn't dismissed me yet.

"How'd it go?" Zach asked.

"Good," Dennis said, "he's learning fast." I knew they were speaking of Brian Scotts. I only filled in for Dennis when he was with Brian. "He does have a tendency to be a little too anxious, but I'm working on that."

"Good to hear," Zach said. "Your work is done for the day, Eduardo."

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. As I walked down the hall towards the back door, Levi entered the hall. It was clear he was going to Zach's office. I was just going to let him go, but when he said, "Hey, Eduardo," a little too jovially, I grabbed his shoulder and pinned him to the wall. "What?" he asked like I was crazy but there was also fear.