Chapter Forty-one

Avery sat on the cold tiled floor in the bathroom with her head leaning against the wall. It seemed to soothe the slightly raised temperature of her flushed skin.

"Avery?" Oliver's voice echoed in the bathroom. She turned her head and sent him a meek smile.

He sighed and scooped her up off the floor. "I've called Dr Klein. He'll be here in twenty minutes."

Oliver sat her on the vanity and passed a toothbrush with toothpaste. She accepted it, eager to get the awful taste out of her mouth. "I don't want to see the doctor."

"You've been like this for a week. I told you if it didn't clear up, I would get the doctor. You've already taken all sorts of medicines from the pharmacy and nothings worked." His tone became increasingly annoyed. A tone that was rarely directed at Avery, so she wasn't quite used to it. What concerned her more than herself, was the frantic look in his eyes.

Avery frowned and focused on brushing her teeth. She spat in the sink and Oliver handed her a cup of water. He stood in between her legs and hugged her close as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Why are you so worried?" she murmured. Worried wasn't the right term for it, he was terrified.

Oliver released a breath. "I just don't want anything to happen to you."

Avery kissed his cheek. "I'll be fine." Oliver lifted her into his arms and walked downstairs. "I can walk, you know?" Avery chuckled.

"Just let me take care of you," Oliver said as he carried her. He sat her on the sofa in the living room and laid a blanket over her lap as the lift dinged and Dr Klein stepped out.

"Mr and Mrs Black." He smiled happily at the two. He used their first names all the time, but he just wanted to say their last after they got married. "I haven't seen you two since the wedding. You looked absolutely marvelous, Avery." He winked at her, before glancing at Oliver. "You were okay, Oliver."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "Can you please take a look at her?" Impatience heavy in his tone.

"Of course. What's the problem?" He sat on the coffee table in front of her.

"I've been vomiting on and off for the last week and a half." She stated. "I'm sure it's just a bug and the stress from the trial."

"I see." Dr Klein smiled with a small knowing glint and dug through his bag. He pulled out a forehead thermometer and held it up until it beeped. "Nothing too abnormal." He listened to her chest before prodding her stomach.

"Everything is looking normal." He sighed and smiled. "I'll take a blood and urine sample, if you don't mind."

"Can you make sure we have the results by the end of the day?" Oliver asked.

"Sure, I'll bring them here personally."

Dr Klein took her blood and urine samples and quickly left. Meanwhile Oliver was in denial and Avery was just tired.

"Are you okay?" she asked softly.

Oliver chuckled. "I'm not the sick one here."

"You didn't have to stay home from work for me." She wrapped her arms around his waist. "But thank you."

"Anything for you." He smiled down at her. It was the first smile she had seen in over a week that wasn't tinged with stress and concern. "Speaking of, I should get back to the study." Avery pouted. "Don't give me that look!" He groaned. "I'll watch a movie with you and bring the laptop down here."

Avery's face broke out into a huge smile. "You spoil me too much."

"I won't deny it." He chuckled. "Pick a movie and I'll be back."