Chapter Five

Oliver and his assistant, Clara, sat in the car on the way to Adley Corporations for the project meeting. He wasn't looking forward to Jeremiah's presence, he couldn't stand the man, but he had to get used to it.

"You're looking forward to seeing Miss Adley, aren't you?" Clara smirked, "I know I am." Oliver turned to her with a raised brow. "Oh, come on, if she's a lesbian let me know," she chuckled to herself.

"What about Elizabeth?"

"Threesome," she shrugged and smiled mischievously.

"Isn't she pregnant?"

"Pregnant women can have sex, you know." She rolled her eyes. "They get all crazy hormonal."

"I see." Oliver stated blankly, but inwardly he was grimacing at the thought of pregnancy. He would rather not deal with that any time soon or ever.

They pulled up to the building and Clara instantly moved on from her playful mood to her professional countenance. "Everyone is inside and waiting on you, Mr and Mrs Black will be meeting you here before your next meeting."

The two met up with the rest of their team and went straight to the top floor. Oliver led the group and was immediately met with Jeremiah who greeted them warmly, but he appeared tense. Once they turned the corner, they saw Avery being lifted and embraced by a man. Oliver schooled his features and, much to his surprise, let out an inaudible breath of relief when he recognized the man to be Russell Adley, son of Jeremiah and future CEO.

Jeremiah cleared his throat, prompting Russell to lower her to the ground and Avery to spin around after fixing her clothes.

Russell warmly greeted his father, although they were rarely ever caught in the same room alone together, and heartily shook his hand. "Sorry, I was just greeting Avery." He chuckled. Ever since they were children, he would always show off his height by standing and letting her legs dangle off the ground.

"Mr Black, it's good to see you again." Avery approached him and shook his hand. He blinked and noted the unusually pale complexion and dark circles.

"Likewise, Miss Adley."

"Please, just call me Avery." She smiled pleasantly, but as always it didn't reflect in her eyes. Oliver sent her a curt nod before greeting the rest with brief handshakes and nods.

They made it into the meeting room where Russell introduced himself and apologized for his absence. The meeting went along where proposals were made and told to be improved on both sides. Avery found herself struggling to stay awake and even stifled a yawn. It didn't go unnoticed by the two men who were glancing at her every so often. Oliver found it kind of cute, but he couldn't shake the surprising worry that she was becoming sick. Maybe he was too.

A brief thought floated through his head. He wondered if he should see a therapist for counselling on this new obsession he seemed to be growing. It was becoming disconcerting already. 

Oliver was unimpressed with Jeremiah's instructions to his own team, they weren't a bad team, they just weren't given a proper brief by their boss and did the best they could. He hoped with Russell's return the work would improve.

After the meeting everyone said their goodbyes and went back to their respective offices, each having adjustments to make to their work. Oliver and his parents were due back for a brief meeting, regarding the marriage contract, Avery had to make the appropriate preparations.

Russell approached Oliver with a warm, welcoming smile. He was always a happy man. Standing side by side one couldn't help but notice the contrast between the two men's dispositions.