44| Mr. Tall Drink

"What the hell kind of name is Ollie? And what are your intentions with Jamie?"

I covered my face with my hands as my cheeks heated. I knew this wasn't a good idea. "Ryan, that really isn't—"

"Well?" Jackson pressed, arms crossed over his chest. "I think my brother asked you a question." 

Jesus...this was getting worse and worse. Maybe I should just take Ollie back to his apartment and forget this whole thing. I couldn't even believe I let my friends talk me into this. Nothing good would come of it. Lanie convinced me it was going to be a friendly barbecue and that we were all going to talk and get to know each other and have fun. Yeah, right. 

"Maybe he can't speak," Nate teased. "Are you mute or somethin'?"

I chanced a look at Ollie, curious if he was still there or if he ran away from these idiots. Not that I would blame him. Surprisingly, he was still here. And he was grinning. 

"Oh, I can speak. I could just tell that the three of you love to hear yourselves talk and I was just being hospitable." 

My eyes widened—as did Jackson's, Ryan's, and Nate's. I was definitely not expecting Ollie to call these guys on their shit. No one ever did. 

"Well, well, well." Jackson glanced from Ryan to Nate. "Looks like we got a smart ass here." After a moment of hesitation, Jackson extended his hand. "You'll fit right in." 

Ollie chuckled and shook the hand that was offered. "Glad to hear it." 

The boys introduced themselves to Ollie one at a time. There was some high-fiving and a sarcastic comment or two. The nervousness I was feeling started to melt away and I was just relieved my mother wasn't here. Lanie tried to pull a fast one and invite her, but I put my foot down. She wasn't seeing him until the wedding. 

Ryan clapped Ollie on the shoulder. "Why don't you come in and meet the girls? And fair warning, they are more lethal than we are." 

Jackson, Ryan, and Nate went into the house and Ollie turned towards me with a curious look. I shrugged a shoulder. 

"They're kinda right. My best friends are very protective of me." 

A corner of Ollie's mouth lifted. "I think I can handle it."

"Are you sure about this? Meeting my friends? I know we have an agreement and this wasn't apart of it. They just wouldn't stop insisting that you come over and they were afraid that—"

"Jamie?" he interjected. 

"Yes?"

"You're doing it again." 

Shit he was right. I tended to ramble when I was nervous or overwhelmed. Lately, I've been a combination of both. "I'm sorry, Ollie."

"It's okay. Besides, I told you I was cool with whatever you needed. That was the deal we made. So, if meeting your friends is something you need, then I'm happy to do it. It might be a good thing, actually."

"How's that?" 

He gestured to the house. "Well, those guys seem to be very protective of you, which is a good thing. But they clearly need to be taken down a peg or two. It's going to be fun."

I shook my head at him. "I hope you know what you're doing. And what you're in for." 

We stepped into Lanie's house and I led Ollie straight to the kitchen. There was a baseball game playing in the living room, even though no one was in there. Through the open back door I could see that all the men were outside in the back grilling burgers and hot dogs. That meant that the girls were most likely in the kitchen.