Chapter Fourteen: The Final Leg

The final leg of the Wings Around The Globe Rally was underway. The final stretch from Mexico to New York.

"This one's all about speed and the willingness to give it all. First to cut the ribbon in New York, takes home the trophy and the glory." Brent announced on TV. "And we're off as the first flyers take to the air."

Braedey lowered his visor, glaring at Ripslinger as he passed him, then he took to the air with a roar from his turbines. Ripslinger took to the air next, followed by the twins, then El Chu and Rochelle, then Bulldog, and so on.

"The rest of the field is now off and running." Brent added in. "And though Crophopper did not complete the previous leg, race officials ruled his radio had been tampered with. So he'll be allowed to compete. But with a severe time penalty."

Dusty sat on the tarmac, his new engine powered up and ready to go. All of the cars and planes in the stand started to count down backward in Spanish. As soon as it hit zero, Dusty was off. As he took to the air, he could now bring up his landing gear. That means less drag, and more speed. He kept his throttle open, and did not slow down.

"I've never seen someone come back from this far behind." Brent announced next. "It's going to take both horsepower and willpower to even have a chance."

Dusty kept his eyes locked on the horizon, and did not let off the throttle. He was going to win this, even if Ripslinger or his goons get in his way. Braedey, every now and then, he would use his mirrors to take a look behind him to see where everyone was, and to see if Dusty was nearby.

Dusty was soon catching up with the other racers as he flew through the Grand Canyon, the most iconic canyon in the world. Bulldog soon passed Ishani, then he looked down to see Dusty leaving a trail of dust in his wake.

"Good show, Dusty." Bulldog said with a smile.

Dusty was flying so low to the ground, one thought he was going to drag his belly across the desert sand. After a while, he passed El Chu and Rochelle with ease. Still not to the front, yet. He still had Ned, Zed, and Ripslinger to pass, and he'll catch up with Braedey in the lead. He noticed Ripslinger just a couple hundred feet ahead of him. He was gaining on them.

"Um, boss?" Zed spoke up.

"What?" Ripslinger snarled under his breath.

"He's here." Zed replied.

Ripslinger looked back to see Dusty charging on. "Okay, we're out of camera range. You know what to do." He said to them, now looping around a large rock formation.

Up ahead, Braedey was looking back to see Dusty was coming up fast. He smiled at his friend, then he saw Ripslinger and his goons looping around. This was not how you race. It was illegal. Ripslinger is power hungry, and doesn't want anyone like Dusty to win. Braedey snarled, and he pulled up to fly into the clouds. He wasn't going to let this happen.

The three planes soon appeared behind Dusty. "Hey, farmer." Ned called.

"Time to plow the fields." Zed joked.

"Looks like you've run out of airspace, Crophopper." Ripslinger hissed. He had brought out his landing gear and with one wheel, he pushed Dusty lower so he would be hitting the cactus.

Just as they were doing that, something was flying upside down then into a nose dive. Flying faster than one could have imagined and knocking Ripslinger aside, it was none other then Skipper and Braedey!

"Skipper? Braedey?" Dusty looked confused. "Whoa!"

"Dusty, pull up!" Skipper ordered.

Dusty noticed he was heading straight for a mountain pillar. The twins split up as Dusty flew straight up. He barrel rolled into flight level at a higher altitude.