Chapter 15

June's POV

It was Sunday. The day I had been dreading. Sure I felt better about going because I had my emotional support system, aka Benny and Nance, coming with me, but I was still stressed out. I had no idea how I would react when I saw my dad again. I mean I knew it wouldn't be a good reaction, but I was in the dark for the most part. This wasn't about me though. It was truly about my dad. How would he react to me?

My family woke up bright and early for this awful occasion. I guess that was a tradition when you went to the hospital. I always saw it happen in movies, but I never knew it was something that happened in real life too.

Benny and Bertram came over really early. Earlier then we needed them to. It wasn't a bad thing though. If anything, it was nice to know that they cared that much. When you get up early for someone, that shows that you care about them. I mean, who the hell wants to get up early? You only do it willingly when you need to. You only do it for people when you really care about them. I feel like that should be a scientific fact at this point.

Everyone got in my mom's car and prepared for the long day ahead of us. Benny and I sat in the backseat, Bertram and Nancy sat in the middle, and my mom and aunt sat in the front.
"Are you ready for this?" Benny asked me.
I sighed. "Can I ever be?"
"Listen, I'm here for you no matter what happens today," he said.
I smiled. "I know, you always are."

The drive to the hospital was a long one, an extremely long one. I'm talking multiple hours long. This is because my dad moved to a completely different town after my parents split. So, the hospital was in a completely different town.

The eternity long car ride eventually came to an end. The hospital was ginormous and ominous. A huge white building looming over everything around it. It's not like I wanted to be here before, but I was loathing my own existence now.

I reluctantly went into the hospital and followed the nurse to my dad's room. Benny reassuringly held my hand the entire time.  Hesitantly, I walked into the hospital room and looked at my dad. I got to be honest, he looked rough. You could tell that he had been through some shit. I didn't have full sympathy for him because he put me through hell, but I did feel some pity.
"Hey Clint," my mom said softly.
"Hello Leslie," my dad replied. He glared at me. "Why is she here?"
"She is your daughter. That's why," my mom deadpanned.
"Show her some respect Clint," my aunt chimed in rather bitterly. "That's the least you can give her after what you did."
My dad coughed and glanced at me. "It's her fault. She deserved it." My stomach dropped. How the fuck did I deserve it? I didn't do anything to him. I was just living my life. If only I knew that was enough to warrant abuse. I didn't say any of this to my dad. It was better, and safer, not to.

Everyone just stared at my dad. They were in shock. A few moments of silence passed and most of their expressions changed. Nance and Bertram were still shocked, but they were slowly becoming appalled. My mom was completely distraught. My aunt was confused, probably confused about how a father could actually say that to his daughter. Benny looked he was about to murder someone.
"You know what? Fuck you," he said. "Come on June, let's go. He's not worth your time." Still holding my hand, he stormed out of the room and I followed. There was no way in hell I was staying in that room.

We went into the lobby and sat down. I sighed and put my head in my hands. "Why does he hate me so much?"
"I don't know. The best reason I can think of is that he's an asshole. I know it's not your fault. You didn't do anything," Benny said. "I don't know how anyone could hate you." I smiled at him and put my head on his shoulder. I didn't want to talk right now, but luckily Benny wouldn't make me. He wouldn't talk to me until I was ready. For now, he just rubbed my back and told me everything was going to be okay. I couldn't ask for more from him.

One positive did come out of this hospital visit. I knew that no matter what happened I would never ever see my dad again.

Author's Note: Chapter 15! I told y'all I would deliver with this chapter. I'm sorry it's so sad. It honestly was heartbreaking to write this lol 😂
I also love Benny badass and defending June. I'm living for it lol 😂
I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! 😊❤️
Like usual, I proofread but if you see any typos please let me know! 👍