Chapter 17

Nancy's POV

Things got better when we got home. Benny hung out with us for a while, but he eventually had to go leave. As much as he and June would love it, he couldn't stay forever. Jack became his replacement once he left. He stuck by June's side and was another source of comfort that she very much needed.

Night fell on the town and it fit the grave mood most of us were in. Behind my own sadness, there was excitement and the tiniest bit of curiosity. I know curiosity killed the cat, but I couldn't help myself. I was curious, insanely curious, about what my kiss with Bertram meant. One would automatically think it meant he had feelings for me, but that was an idiotic move. It could mean many things. He could have kissed me in the heat of the moment. Maybe it was his backward way of consoling someone. I didn't want to rule anything out or get my hopes up. I was dying to talk to June about it, but again, I couldn't talk about myself right now.

As if she read my mind, June walked into our bedroom with Jack trotting behind her.
"I wasn't going to say anything about this, but this is me we're talking about so I have to," she carefully sat down beside me. "Benny and I saw you and Bertram kiss. You don't have to talk about it, but I had to say something."
"I will gladly tell you about it," I giggled softly. "But are you sure you want to talk about it right now?"
"I'm sure," she nodded. "I kind of need a distraction anyway."
"Okay," I said. "The two of us were talking and it honestly just kind of happened. We were talking about how bad we felt for you and how terrible this whole situation is. He gave me a hug and then...well you saw the rest."
"You know, they say trauma brings people closer together," June smiled slightly.
"Do you think that's why we kissed?" I asked.
"No, you kissed because you both like each other," she answered. Her voice and body language conveyed that I should have already known the answer.
"You don't know that he likes me," I said. "He might not have any romantic feelings for me."
"Nance, he kissed you. He has to like you a little bit," she argued. "You don't kiss people you don't like."
I smiled to myself. "So you think he likes me?"
She laughed at me, almost mocking my words. "I know he likes you. There's no way he doesn't."
"So should I...maybe..." I paused and settled my new intense nerves. "Should I tell Bertram how I feel?"
"I think you should because he definitely likes you back," she said. "I know it's easier said than done, but I think it'll be good for you."
"I might do it," I tried to instill confidence in myself. "Thinking about doing it makes my heart explode, so I might not."
"Your heart will explode if, or when, you confess too," she replied, a quiet laugh building in her throat.
"Good point," I said. "You give really good relationship advice."
"Really? That's kind of surprising," the quiet laugh from before turned into a full-blown chuckle.
I titled my head. "Why?"
"I've literally liked the same guy my whole life," she said rather bluntly. "He's also the only guy I've ever dated."
"Fair enough," I giggled. She made complete sense, but yet reality was so different. June had helped me throughout all the turbulent waters I faced in the ocean of romance. She guided me through everything with Ham and everything now going on with Bertram. No matter what she says, she is, without a doubt, the best person to go to for relationship advice.

We weren't awake for much longer. We were exhausted. Then again, who wouldn't be after the day we had? So much, some good things and some bad things, had happened.

Author's Note: Chapter 17!! June is just so funny all the time, I literally love her so much lol 😂
I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!! 😊❤️
Like all the other chapters, I proofread but if you see any typos please let me know! 👍