twenty two - george

i huff in annoyance, rubbing at my eyes to try and focus my vision but it doesn't seem to help. blinking a few times, i sit up and prepare myself to answer whichever idiot is texting me at 9 in the morning. i feel around for my phone, and squint at the screen, reading a message from nick. 'uh, clay asked me to ask you if you could unblock him or something.'

forcing an eye roll, i form a message back, 'tell him i said no.'

i settle back down in the covers, pulling them back over myself in an attempt to re-heat my body. a noise indicates i've received another message, so i pull my phone back out. 'he said please.'

a small smile tugs at my lips as i imagine clay pouting at his phone as nick transfers my message of rejection to him, but the smile quickly drops as i remind myself he doesn't care that much. my eyes avert back to my phone as he texts me again, 'he says it's a little important.'

this gets my attention, and i feel curiosity bubbling inside me. what could be so important i have to unblock a grown man right now? i exhale and comply, clicking the small button under his contact. i don't have to wait long as a message comes through from clay almost immediately. 

'george?'

i frown, a sense of anxiety washing over me, but respond anyways, 'clay.'

'i'm sober.'

some time goes by as i sit staring at the words on my screen, watching the bubbles float as he types. i debate whether his words have some deeper meaning, or even it's worth replying to. my confusion disappears as his next message comes through, 'and i guess i have some explaining to do.'

maybe he wants to apologise for being equally as rude as i during our argument. however, his words were much harsher than mine, and i definitely don't feel like saying sorry. i grunt as i force myself to sit up, and i carry my heavy body to the shower. i shuffle through some songs mindlessly, and undress as one i like begins playing.

swiping my hand under the stream of water, goosebumps form on my skin as it makes contact with icy water. i awkwardly wait for the water to turn warm, and sigh happily when it does. closing my eyes, i step in and feel instantly comforted as the warmth devours my body.

i wash the soap from my the surface of my skin, my eyes following the bubbles as they speed down my torso with the water. reaching out with a steady hand, i find a towel and wrap it around my body loosely. my eyebrows crease into a frown as my music stops abruptly, and i realise i'm getting a call.

i speedily dry my body, and pick up the phone with a "hello?"

a rustle from the other end peaks my interest as i didn't read the name of the caller, "george, you need to come home- it's urgent."

shock floods my body as i recognise my sister's trembling voice, "what? what do you mean? are you okay?"

"i'm fine, but you need to find a way back here asap." i wrack my brain with some kind of answer as to what could have possibly happened for my sister to ask for me to come home, but nothing comes to mind.

"can you explain?" i stutter, unsure of what to make of this kind of phone call.

i listen carefully as hushed words begin to converse on the other end, and i note the urgency in their muffled voices, "elizabeth?" i call out, hoping she would fill me in on what exactly is going on.

she sighs, "just- just try to make here if you can."

i don't get the chance to respond as the line goes dead, and i sit in shock staring at my phone. when my body finally springs into action, i find myself throwing anything and everything i can fit into a random suitcase and i seem to watch myself scramble around in third person as i desperately google flight tickets back to england. relief floods my body as i notice i can catch one within the next two days, and that information is all i need to get back into action and i pack as much as i can.

i shoot a message to elizabeth as i continue packing, 'just booked a flight, i'll be there asap.'

=====

word count: 782
*in editing*
please vote!

i'm thinking of making another book when this one is done, but i need ideas
hmmm...