ten - george

as i begin to wake, i feel something heavy wrapped around me. my eyes widen in shock upon realising it's clay's arm. i scramble to get up, peeling him off me and trying not wake him in the process.

how did this happen?

i peek at his peaceful face before i begin freaking out. his arm was wrapped tight around my slimmer frame, and my head was nestled casually into his chest, with his head atop of mine. i shake my head at the thought of being in that position all night.

i won't deny it was warm, and pretty comfortable. but that's not how friends act!
guilt suddenly washes over me, and i wonder if this was my fault.

i sigh, and grab my things. my phone; which had died earlier in the night. my wallet, and my keys.

i close his door gently behind me, letting out a breath when i'm out. the memory of his fingers which had previously touched my bare skin flooded my mind. i can feel him running his hands up and down my arm, even though i'm far from his apartment by now.

i mentally scolded myself for getting up and leaving, but the more sensible side of my brain made the right decision. i have every right to freak out!

i gulp and make my way into my own home, and collapsing straight onto the couch. my mind's running so fast with thoughts that it tires me out, and i feel myself sinking back into a slumber.

a few days of avoiding clay go by, and i find myself outside my apartment heading toward the closest coffee shop.

i don't make it into the elevator before i bump into something. i scratch my head and realise it's a person, but i don't bother looking up.

i quickly stutter a chain of apologies, before attempting to get around the person.

"have you been avoiding me?"

i've been dreading those exact words since i snuck out of clay's apartment. i never planned what i would reply with.

"no." smooth.

he scoffs, "no?"

i gulp, trying to think of a quick way out, "i've been busy."

his frustration is obvious with the way his arms move to tangle in his hair. a short sigh escapes his lips, but i can't bring myself to look at him, i've been a horrible friend.

"how have you been?" he asks abruptly, to which i only shrug in response.

it's beginning to pick up awkwardness.

"what about you?"

he forces a chuckle, "yeah, good. uh, britt and i are back together so...good."

my eyes snap to his, and i realise now his hair is messy and he looks pretty tired. i nod, bringing my hand to the back of my neck.

"hey, george?" he pauses, "would you like to come with me to a party? well, not with me because it's my party. but would you like to come to it?"

"a party?"

"i recently bought a house, i move in about a month and wanted to host a house-warming party. you know, to celebrate or something?"

i laugh, "sure, yeah."

"i'll text you the details." he states, and spins to leave.

"so we won't be neighbors anymore?"

he looks back at me, "maybe one day."

=====

word count: 556
*in editing*
please vote!