Chapter 12

The next day's journey had gone by smoothly and Hermione was in many ways thrilled to finally get a break from all that had gone on that half term.

In no time, the Hogwarts Express had arrived King's Cross, where Harry and Hermione were warmly greeted by Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin.

The two students ran up to the pair and gave them tight hugs. Tonks' belly presses against her in an unusual way as Hermione hugged her, which confused her slightly.

"Oh how I've missed you two," exclaimed Nymphadora, as she clapped her hands together.

"We both have," smiled Lupin.

"And before you ask, we have some very special news to share with you," she beamed, grasping Lupin's hand as she rubbed her free hand over her stomach. "We have a baby on the way."

Hermione let out a wild squeal and immediately pulled her friend back into her arms, and Harry was equally congratulatory.

"Congratulations, that's wonderful news! I am so excited for you to be starting this new chapter of your life."

It didn't take them long to reach their house in the countryside thanks to the convenience of apparition.

Tonks showed them to their rooms, which were adjacent to one another, allowing them time to settle in.

"We'll give you a tour of the nearby area once you're done unpacking and taking a moment to rest after your long journey."

It only took Hermione a few minutes to unpack, leaving her plenty of time to help her comparatively slower friend with his task.

"Harry, it's really not that hard to fold your clothes, you know," Hermione rolled her eyes as she and her friend began unloading his trunk.

"But it's such a useless effort. Why should I fold my clothes only to have to unfold them again?"

"I don't know, Harry, maybe to avoid creases?"

"Well. you can just get rid of any creases with a quick tap of the wand."

"Merlin, you're stubborn."

"Hermione Granger calling me stubborn? What world are we living in? Did someone just forget to tell me it was Opposite Day today?"

"Well, it wouldn't be Opposite Day today if someone said it was, now would it?" She smirked.

Harry whacked her with the pair of trousers he had just pulled out of his trunk.

"Um, excuse me!" She scoffed as she hit him back with a red and white sock. "Oh, Harry, your socks are all over the place! How on Earth do you find matching pairs?"

"Well, Ron introduced me to the wonderfully easy world of odd socks and it's never been the same for me since, really."

She rolled her eyes and looked out of the window, admiring the picturesque view of the gentle, rolling hills and the dainty river that meandered between them.

"This place is breathtaking," she remarked.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Look at those little cottages over there," she pointed. "And that adorable little bridge. It feels like we're in some doll village."

"A brighter, sunnier version of Hogsmeade, one might say."

Hermione nodded in agreement.

"It's so nice to get away from all the chaos at Hogwarts every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I love the place, just not everyone in it."