[𝚅𝙸] NOT TOO LATE

"All those moments will be LOST IN TIME, like tears in the rain

"All those moments will be LOST IN TIME, like tears in the rain. Time to die."

Roy Batty, Bladerunner

The Moore house was silent. It wasn't right; it was wrong. Kathryn was huddled in the corner of her room, things strewn across the floor. Joshua slumped against the wall out in the hallway. Neither of them had really slept. They were alone in the house- their parents had gone upstate for a few days, and their sister (who was supposed to be watching them) was at a friend's house. He was confused; what could have happened, what could be so bad that she'd yell at him like that? He was just going to suggest an R-rated movie, make some popcorn, have a late night...but Kathryn hadn't given him a chance. She'd just- He felt like crying, which made him feel pathetic because it was just a fight, right?

But it wasn't. As far as he knew, he'd done nothing. And they'd never fought, not really. They had a relationship that Amanda was jealous of, that most of Josh's friends had told him he was lucky to have (even if his sister was pretty antisocial...he still felt like a jerk for not saying anything about that to them). So, what? Why?

In her room, Kathryn was asking 'Why?' and 'How?', but not about their...whatever it was. She was rocking back and forth, searching for explanation as to what either of her friends had done to deserve what came to them. She went through these listless periods and then she wanted to throw things and then she wanted to lie down and never get up and then it was back to crying and wondering how it was true. Why it was true. 

It wasn't fair. It didn't make sense. Kathryn couldn't take it when things didn't make sense. 

The morning drudged on until it was nearly time for school. Joshua waited for her to come out. He hoped she would. But Kathryn threw her head back against the wall like he did several feet away, beyond the door, and closed her eyes. Finally, he stood and knocked on her door. "Kit-Kat? Hey, I-I've got no clue what's wrong but...let's stay home, okay? Whatever it is, I'm sure Mom and Dad would understand and I'm not gonna leave you. So uh, I'll be downstairs if you need me." He let out a shaky breath and then turned away, walking down the stairs- not sliding. 

Kathryn listened, but she didn't answer. What was the point in it all...If no matter how strong you held on, some people still fell?

----

Meanwhile, at the Wheeler's home Karen walked up the stairs and into her son's room. "Michael? Hi, honey. How are you feeling?"

Mike sent her a glance. "I, uh...I don't think I can go to school today."

Karen's face was sympathetic. "Oh, that's fine, sweetie. I need to drop off Nance, then I'm gonna check in on Barb's parents. Why don't you grab a book or something and come with me? We can stop by the video store on the way back, pick out whatever you want. Even R-rated." If this had been any other day...any other situation...