[𝗫𝗩] 𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗟, 𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗧.

𝙅𝙊𝙎𝙃𝙐𝘼 𝙈𝙊𝙊𝙍𝙀 had never been more scared in his life as the moment Amanda Moore picked up the phone, mumbled a bored hello, and almost fainted at the news on the other line.

His twin sister had been shot. She was being driven to the only hospital in town. Could someone come be speak for her? Were her parents available? Did she have insurance?

But the worst sentence he had ever heard: It isn't good.

Amanda had called their parents in tears, but had been silent as she sped her beat-up car across town, silent as they paced the waiting room, silent as her teenage classmates tried to comfort her. She hadn't spoken until Kathryn had been moved to a small room after a (hopefully) successful surgery.

Their parents had gotten there the night after, nearly 24 hours after the original call. It'd been clear they'd held back any emotion long enough to get home to Hawkins, but when they stumbled into the concrete, sanitized building, they'd broken down too.

Joshua had not cried. He'd simply focused on Kat. How was the surgery going? Would she be alright? Had the "it isn't good" changed to something far less terrifying? They hadn't given him many answers, but he had asked question after question.

He didn't resent her friends, not exactly. But to some degree, yes, yes he did. If they hadn't been such weirdos, maybe- but no. He couldn't think of them that way. Kat loved them, she'd been happier again around them, and Josh knew they were just kids. Same as him. They couldn't have stopped a bullet, and Kat wasn't the only one in the Hospital. Will was recovering, too. But then again, what diction. What specific word choice.

Recovering.

They wouldn't tell him if Kathryn was going to recover. Just that she was "stable." 

So, although his brain had forgiven Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, Lucas Sinclair and.....and Eleven, his heart had not. It would be a very long time, he thought, before his heart could stand to do any such similar thing.

He ignored their presence, and when Kat woke up, after a week of purgatory both for the twelve-year-old girl and her family and friends, it was her twin brother who waited.

•·················•·················•

The light is harsh when she blinks, and dancing lights float in her vision. She is in pain, but it is muted. She groans as she lifts her chest, and drops back against the soft fabric underneath her matted, greasy curls. The pain had gone from muted to sharp rather instantaneously. 

Movement in her peripheral draws her attention, and she realizes slowly that it is a head shooting up. Upon further reflection, she decides that head belongs to Joshua. Josh is her twin brother, she knows. Why he is here, she does not.

Why she is here, she does not.

"Josh?" She manages.

"Kathryn."  The relief in his voice awakens a queer emotion in her. She turns toward him, lips twisted in confusion.