[𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈] POINT ME

The group has returned to the basement, Josh in tow again

The group has returned to the basement, Josh in tow again. Privately, he thinks they're pretty cool- in their own way. Something tells him if he went missing, the rest of his friends wouldn't have a clue what to do. 

Which is kind of depressing. 

So yeah, the fact that they're so ready to do all this crazy shit to get Will back from this "Upside Down"? He respects it a lot. And he's glad his twin sister found them. She's sitting between Lucas and Josh, sketchbook on her lap. Joshua's seen nearly every drawing there, but lately, he hasn't seen a single sketch.

Right, you idiot, he thinks, she's been dealing with...a lot. What else could he even call this situation? 

Mike is talking away to Eleven while he gestures to Mr. Clarke's plate diagram. "It would take a lot of energy to build a gate like this. But that's got to be what happened. Otherwise, how'd Will get there, right?"

She looks back at him. "Right."

Lucas, never to be silent, pipes up. "What we want to know is, do you know where the gate is?"

Eleven shakes her head and Kathryn's lip purse over her sketch. Her brother can't decide if it's the drawing, Eleven's inability to lead them to the gate, or a combination of both. He sits back, sighing slightly. 

Lucas is getting worked up again. "Then how do you know about the Upside Down?" A few feet from the couch where the other three (minus Mike and Eleven) sit, Dustin paces. He's holding a small round object. 

Mike sends him an odd look. "Dustin, what are you doing?" No response. "Dustin? Dustin!" 

[We see Dustin pacing back and forth holding a compass]

Mike: Dustin, what are you doing? Dustin? Dustin!

"Dustin!" Lucas echoes. 

Dustin finally speaks, expression confused. "I... I need to see your compasses." The others send him crazy looks again. What does he need compasses for? 

Mike asks. He's good at that. "What?"

Dustin huffs. "Your compasses. All of your compasses, right now!" Kat looks up from her sketch and ruffles through her bag, finally pulling out a sleek metal compass and passing it to Lucas who gives it to Mike; Mike handing them over to Dustin, who lays them all out on the small wooden table. Joshua awkwardly watches, he and Eleven apparently the two who didn't get the compass memo. At least she's got an excuse, right? 

Mike, in all of his question-asking glory, "What's exciting about this?.."

"Well, they're all facing north, right?"

Lucas nods. "Yeah, so?"

Dustin seems triumphant. "Well, that's not true north."

 "What do you mean?", Mike asks.