35 | he does not like that

Fingers clasped around his, the brunette witch sidled along next to her boyfriend as they walked under the falling snow.

The air was chilly and bit the skin of her warm cheeks and seeped through fabric of her jacket, but she didn't mind. She could withstand the cold. Besides, he didn't mind the cold either, so why should she?

She smiled at the snowflakes that landed on their hands clad in warm mittens, wondrously staring at their hold on each other. It looked so natural, so peaceful embraced in his larger palms.

If only it really felt like that.

Her smile fell when they passed by a trio of witches. Nervously, she glanced up at her boyfriend who already had his eyes on them. There was that glint of smugness that shone on his face before he would do something she despised.

But of course, her opinion never mattered so who was she to tell him she hated it?

She felt his fingers loosen his hold on her hand, and soon she was left gripping his index finger in her futile attempt to keep him from doing it again. He only shook her off, shooting an annoyed sneer before continuing down the snow-covered path until they reached the trio of overexcited women.

She was behind him again, alone and forgotten in the shivering cold as she watched her boyfriend of a year initiate conversation. Calling them "babe", "lovely", "beautiful", and all those special endearments he would constantly tell Hermione Granger, saying those words are solely for her, until he got tired of telling it only to her.

Her eyes glasses over, watching with a mix of burning anger, ugly jealousy, and heart-wrenching sorrow as the boy she loves interacted much more animatedly than he ever did with her.

Was she really that boring? Books and knowledge was all she ever knew, the only thing that made her enjoy life. But some knowledge isn't worth knowing. Like the knowledge of knowing that Draco Malfoy hates it when she gets jealous for simply 'talking' to women.

Hermione's fists clenched when she eyed the way Draco wrapped an arm around the dark haired woman's shoulders, welcoming the picture they took together. The bright smile on his face and the laugh that echoed back to her. Their loud conversations that drifted to her ears.

"Your girlfriend must really be amazingly understanding to have you be this comfortable around other women," one of the witches spoke.

"Of course," he responded half-heartedly with a dismissive flick of his hand. It was all it took to change the topic.

He says it's fan service. After all, he's a famous Quidditch player and all.

She, on the other hand, tries to understand. She's dating the Draco Malfoy, next to best Quidditch player in the wizarding world. Of course all women would fawn over him.

But sometimes she wished he'd stop feeding into their fangirling. She wished he didn't have to watch him have that smug smirk on his face every time they encounter a beautiful woman gushing over him. She wished he would remind her that he loves her and cares for her regardless of the amount of fangirls out there.

The thought always crosses her mind: did he only date her for the fame?

Hermione Granger, war heroine and smartest witch of her age with Draco Malfoy, reformed ex Death Eater and hottest Quidditch player to exist— not to mention, up to par with Hermione when it came to intelligence.

They were the most beautiful couple of the wizarding world.

If only the public knew what she really felt in the relationship.

"Quit getting jealous, Granger. It's not attractive on you. You know it's nothing."

Hermione flinched, staring at the man with a small frown as he returned from his pampering session with the three witches.

"You called them 'babe' and 'my love'," she noted, frowning deeper.

"It's just a word. There's no meaning behind it."

"You say it to me. Is there no meaning behind that?"

Draco merely shot her a flat look portraying the 'are you stupid?' expression. "You know I don't like it when you get like this."

Hermione's jaw ticked but she hung her head low. It hurts, but she loves him. He was so nice to her, so she'd be nice back.

He ceased the conversation by grasping onto her hand more out of annoyance rather than care, and she was left to be partially dragged forward into the direction of their home.

Their home, where she was left to make an excuse into the bathroom to cry silently in front of the mirror wondering where everything had gone wrong. Wondering if the previous sweet Draco who really courted her for who she is was just a facade to get into the fame and into her pants. She still wonders if Draco still loves her.

Because she still loves him.

•••
kinda late but happy new years and happy holidays!