37 | letters to his mum

Under three dimly lit candles and softly beaming light of the full moon shining down through the window against the tan complexion of her petite face, a particular witch stared down at her hands where she held letters sent directly from her husband's mum.

Dearest Hermione Granger,

A small note gripped by the beak of an owl had scrawled in fancy calligraphy.

I recently found a stack of letters Draco had sent to me throughout your youth. I send you these letters containing your name. Perhaps you would fancy a peek to read them out of curiosity.

Sincerely,
Narcissa Malfoy

Hermione untied the box of letters from the foot of the owl, the box feeling light in her hands. It didn't take the brightest witch of her age long to realize her husband's mum had a featherlight charm casted on the box.

Hermione sifted through the letters, making sure to keep them in the order they were originally placed in case they were sorted chronologically. And they were. With the first envelope dating back to the first week of her first year at Hogwarts, she knew what to expect how the first few years of letters would be concerning her. After all, they never did see eye to eye back in those days.

However, that didn't diminish the curiosity of what was written by her husband.

What was Draco's young mind like? Was it all just air and hatred for her and her two friends in his brain like she had assumed back then? When was the turning point of new perspectives? How did he think of her towards the end of Hogwarts?

Opening the first letter, Hermione endured the entire night reading every single note Draco had written to his mother from their Hogwarts years:

November 1st, 1991
Dear mother,

Hogwarts is amazing— most of the time. It's only the first night and I already can't sleep. That's why I'm writing this letter now. No mother, I'm not homesick. Only wusses get homesick the first day. Also the stupid giant squid keeps staring at me through the glass and I swear it wants break through and eat me. Why can't Dumbledore cast it away? It's eye is humongous.

The food was good. There was a lot, the whole table was filled to the edge just like at home. There were also ghosts, just like you said. All the first years were so scared, but I felt so powerful because I got to act like I've seen them before. Crabbe and Goyle kept asking why I didn't flinch when Headless Nick tipped his head over.

Crabbe and Goyle are absolute nimwits. They can't stop touching things! The amount of times they keep touching the walls like a secret door would pop up is embarrassing. It's like they haven't seen a bloody wall before. Anyway, it's whatever. They're the only friends I have right now.

Do you remember Harry Potter? The one who survived You-Know-Who's special curse? He's here now, and he's in my year. Everyone kept flocking around him like he's a celebrity. I don't get it, he's just living! I should also be flocked around like a celebrity because I'm living too! This isn't fair. And the Weasleys, feeling so proud they're friends with him and have him sorted in their house. It's pathetic.

Oh this one girl as well, Hermynee Granger? I'm not sure how to spell it, but it looks as equally funny as it sounds. Anyway, she won't shut up! Always talking in her swot-ish, know-it-all tone that makes my ears bleed across the room. And she's always at the library! Everywhere at the library! When I want to sit by the cool window, she's there! When I want to sit on the table far behind the library, she's always there! I despise it. I want her to leave! I bet my entire Gringotts vault she has no friends. And guess what house she's in?