Ch 14 - Symptoms Of A Broken Heart

The next morning, she decided to walk from the hotel to the Lexus office, which compromises of about three blocks apart. Wearing a light gray cotton skirt which fell three inches above her knees with its matching gray lapel thin short design bolero jacket, underneath she wore a white overbust black floral design fashion corset, and a two and a half inch black suede ankle-strap sandals, a gift from Julie. Well, her wardrobe for the rest of her stay in New York was already arranged by her three fairy godmothers, as they always did when they were younger. They still look at her as their youngest sister who doesn't have any fashion sense, which is true, because for Alex as long as the clothes are clean, she doesn't give a damn about what she is wearing, especially if it's jeans and shirts.

She wrapped her light brown trench coat tighter around her, that day was a bit more chilly than the other day when she arrived. She decided to walk as a substitute to her every morning exercise with Bunny. Well, that is just the reason she keeps telling herself. But the truth is, she needs to clear her mind. She wants to understand why Stephen was acting like a jerk yesterday. No, not just acting he was a total jerk yesterday. He acts like she is just his subordinate, a mere employee, not someone he has shared passionate kisses with. Alex doesn't get that. She just kept asking herself why, why, and more why.

Yesterday, Stan took her to an art exhibit and invited her for dinner. He fetch her at the hotel, she had a good time. But deep inside her, she know it will be a great one if Stephen was the one she was dining with and not his cousin.

As she got near the building, just before she crosses the street, she noticed something at the newspaper stand. She walked nearer to it and saw Stephen's pictures with five different women in each. The caption says:

"WOMEN... OR RATHER THE EX-LOVERS OF THE MOST ELIGIBLE BACHELOR OF HIS TIME CONFIRMED..." Turn to page 3 to read the exclusive interviews.

She quickly turned to page three to continue reading it, when someone from behind her cleared his throat. She jumped a little and turned to face the man who is glaring at her. He looks like he is already in his fifty.

"Yes?" she asked with annoyance in her voice. She was about to read the whole interview when he interrupted.

"Blind or stupid?" the man asked her rudely, clearly also annoyed with her then pointed to a sign above her head.

"NO FREE READING! BUY IT BEFORE YOU READ IT!"

"Oh! I'm so sorry sir," she hastily said, feeling her face heating up from embarrassment. "Yes, I'll buy this, and this, and this, this, oh! and this one too." She grabs all the magazines that she sees with Stephen's face on it.

"Good!" the man said, looking at her weirdly.  Maybe he is thinking I'm an obsessed fan of Stephen for buying all these magazines.

After paying him, she went to the coffee shop near the newspaper stand. She still has an hour before she has to be in the office. She decided to have a quick breakfast. Okay, so, breakfast is just an another excuse. The truth is, she is dying to read the articles about Stephen.

She ordered a sandwich and a cup of coffee before settling in a table at the back corner of the shop. She removed her trench coat then placed it with her laptop bag at a chair beside her, before sitting down and started to read the first magazine.

=============================================================================

Definitely, he is Mr. Grumpy this morning. He wasn't able to sleep at all last night. He took home some of his work last night, just to keep his mind busy and out of the woman who smelled like strawberries and cream. He was dying to talk to her yesterday and ask her out for dinner after the presentation. But Stan beats him into it, he asked Alex first when they were in the elevator. And the other fact is, Alex is not talking to him, not even want to look at him.