Chapter 16 - And The Battle Begins

"Hey sweetie!" the blonde woman addressed Stephen as she gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Sorry I'm late, two of your elevators are under maintenance." She continued, and Alex just stared at her. She is a beauty, she looks like she just came out of a Victoria Secret's catalogue. The woman stood just about three inches less to Stephen. A perfect match, Alex thought.

"No problem, sweetheart," Stephen replied and placed one of his hand on the bombshell's back. "We were just about to start anyway." He heard another gasps from Phoebe and Ken, a gasp of surprise probably for not reprimanding Chelsea for being late. He turned around to face the other occupants of the room and felt Alex's burning gaze, like she wants to kill him with her bare hands right there and then. He knew he was harsh with her and Stan, he was not the strict type of boss particularly  about the breaks of his employees. But he just couldn't help it with Alex! Earlier, he saw her clinging to Ken, then he received a text message from his bestfriend, Gregg.

"Heads up man! Just saw your cousin and lady love getting mushy inside the elevator."

As if that was not enough, they entered the room gazing at each others eyes and Stan's hand on her waist.  Possessiveness, jealousy, anger, betrayal, he felt all those emotions the moment he saw Alex.

"What an asshole," Alex whispered angrily, bending her head down, looking at her clenched fists on her lap. Sweetheart! He called her sweetheart! Alex felt her world crumbling down, her heart felt like it was being pierced endlessly with a thousand needles. She wanted to take off her shoes and hurl it to the beast who incessantly breaks her heart. She wanted to hurt him so badly, like the way he is hurting her now. But I will not cry, I will not give him the satisfaction of seeing me weak. Alex thought angrily, as she tried to compose herself and supress all emotions she was feeling at that moment.

Stephen heard what Alex whispered and he saw her face before she bent down her head.  One point for being an asshole Stephen, his conscience castigated him.

"Before we start, I would like you all to meet Ms. Chelsea Kincaid, she'll be joining us soon as one of the senior VPs of the company," Stephen announced and Alex saw Stan gripped the side handle of his chair tightly. "Ms. Kincaid is currently handling his father's hotel businesses in Australia, as well, as other European countries like in Italy and France. I hope you could..."

And all Alex could hear was "blah, blah, blah", it was like her mind just went blank and she couldn't understand a word Stephen was saying. Or maybe because she refuses to listen, maybe because the hurt she's feeling is too much to bear than to give a damn about what he is talking about. With her head still bent down, she took her phone and sent a message to Amanda.

"Are you busy? Badly need to go out tonight."

"Me busy?! For you, never! Wow! This will be like the first time you want to go out on your own volition, the first time that I won't have to beg! :D"

Obviously, blabber-mouth is not busy. She replied just a minute after Alex sent the message.

"Thank you... by the way, you won."

"Wooohooo!!! I'll start searching now what you will be wearing tonight!"

"No yellow chicken suit please..."

"I promise!

"Thank you :)"

"I'll pick you up there at your office, about five pm?"